found the bang, it is in the loft ........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, it is me, back again. about a month ago i thought i had a banging noise in my airing cupboard, well, i was wrong.

the noise is in my Loft and it IS coming from the Cold Water tank, i got up in the loft to do something else, why have lofts got so much crap in them ?, i thought i would check on the two ball cocks i know i have up there, the central heating ball cock was of course my main suspect, but NO, i took all the insulation off of the Big Tank and the Lid off and sure enough i moved the Ball up and down and it was of course the culprit, just as it is in between off and on it makes this terrible vibrating noise.

So is it an easy problem to put right ?, or perhaps (i hope) best to leave it well alone, i suppose half the battle is knowing what it is, i thought it was the CH pump or worse. Trouble is my missus is moaning about it pretty bad and she don't go up ladders !!!!!

PS. why on earth are they called BALL COCKS ?, it is a strange word if you think about it, to someone who ain't a plumber anyway, LOL
tim

Sponsored Links
they are called float valves now ;) and you want a half inch Part 2 one and a new float - get that and ask us again if you need help fitting it - there might be a sticky here to show you :idea: Ball cock from 19th Century

OK Nige F, thanks for that info, i shall have to try my local Jewsons first thing monday, i hate going there, it always seems that serving customers is the last dammed thing they go there for, they chat with each other all the time.

tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back