Foundations - gas/elec mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m currently planning a garage conversion. However one of my concerns is my gas / elec mains which both run under my garage floor.
Where the garage door now stands will be replaced with a wall / window.
I imagine that when I excavate the new foundations for the wall / window I may encounter the gas / elec mains.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could incorporate these into the foundations of the new wall? Can I simply build around them? i.e. place a lintel over the top of them and box them in from the new concrete foundations or will I need to redirect the services?

In the event of the latter (which I hope to avoid) does anybody know roughly how much re-directing the gas / elec would cost?
Any work I do must meet current building regs.
Grateful in advance for any advice
Sincerely
Matt

Please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
the gas, according to regulations cannot run under the floor. you will have to bring the meter to the front and either site it into a wall mounted box or in a surface meter box. you will then need a corgi bod to reconnect the domestic supply.

i'm pretty sure though, so long as the electric cable is protected in such a way that it is afforded movement, then you should be ok.

speak to transco and they will send you the relevant forms and inform you of cost. be prepared to pay £500 and upwards.

Thanks for the advice. Apologies for enquiring about cost.
I've an update on the situation.
I dug a test hole and identified the gas main entering the garage at 35mm below ground level.

I note that the gas regs say "No person shall install any installation pipework or any service pipework under the foundations of a building or in the ground under the base of a wall or footings unless adequate steps are taken to prevent damage to the installation pipework or service pipework in the event of the movement of those structures or the ground"

Obviously I'm really reluctant to have to go to the expense of moving my gas meter.
The question I have therefore is rather than have the pipe running under the footings, can I build the footings around the pipe? i.e. so that it's running through the footings.
What would be considered 'adequate steps to protect the pipe from movement'? Perhaps building blockwork around it or encasing it in a large plastic sleeve?

Grateful for any thoughts.
Matt

if you are doing a garage conversion then building control will want to inspect it where necessary. they will of course see the gas main so my advice is you sort it now rather than later.

with the inevitable home buyers reports due soon it is wise to do things legitimately. unless of course you never intend to sell.
have a read here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76023

Sponsored Links
Matt100 said:
...I dug a test hole and identified the gas main entering the garage at 35mm below ground level...

An inch and a half? Really? Far too shallow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back