FOUR ENGINEERS AND STILL NO HOT WATER

Sorry, you are probably quite right!

That makes it even easier! You dont need a third hose!

Fit female end to WMC inlet. Fit red and blue hoses from supplies to the two males on "Y" piece and BINGO the hot and cold are linked !!!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
That makes it even easier! You dont need a third hose!

Fit female end to WMC inlet. Fit red and blue hoses from supplies to the two males on "Y" piece and BINGO the hot and cold are linked
I'm curious - is this the arrangement that you once saw at a customer who had a similar problem to the OP?

And to twigsie - is that how your Y piece was connected? With the stem of the Y screwed directly onto the back of the washing machine? :eek:

Yes, but I dont remember if it had a third hose and a back to back!

In my case it was VERY annoying.

It was a "far" customer near Staines and we had repaired her boiler the week before.

She insisted the boiler was no longer working properly and that we had to come out free to "do the job properly".

Of course we found that the husband had fitted this new washing machine and caused this fault.

So we had a wasted long journey totally unpaid !

Tony

Agile said:
In my case it was VERY annoying.
So we had a wasted long journey totally unpaid !
You have my sincere sympathies. In times like those I do my best to remember the adage "lose a few and win a lot"...

Sponsored Links
And to twigsie - is that how your Y piece was connected? With the stem of the Y screwed directly onto the back of the washing machine? :eek:[/quote]

Yes thats how mine was fitted, afraid I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to plumbing. My dad has a used a Y piece on his washing machine but he doesn't have a combi boiler. This has explained why I had problems as soon as I moved in.

twigsie said:
Yes thats how mine was fitted, afraid I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to plumbing.
OK - have you got it sorted now, i.e. ditch the Y piece, disconnect the hot and just leave the cold connected to the appliance?

My dad has a used a Y piece on his washing machine but he doesn't have a combi boiler.
But this problem has nothing to do with whether or not you have a combi. The symptoms would be different if you had tank-fed hot water, but it would still be a problem. :confused:

Yes have disconnected the hot feed but one plumber said that if I fit a non return valve this would stop the problem, is this
right? I'm sure my dad said he has used a Y piece on his washing machine but then he is getting on a bit.

twigsie said:
Yes have disconnected the hot feed but one plumber said that if I fit a non return valve this would stop the problem, is this
right?
In theory, yes, but in practice I've seen NRVs let by a tiny amount when subjected to a high pressure.

I'm sure my dad said he has used a Y piece on his washing machine but then he is getting on a bit.
If the washing m/c is cold fill only, then UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you be using a Y piece.

Y pieces on washing machines are for connecting both w/m INLETS to one TAP, if you don't have a hot w/m, tap.
You put the Y (female) on the tap, then the two hoses go to the w/m inlets so they both get cold water.

Softus said:
twigsie said:
right?
In theory, yes, but in practice I've seen NRVs let by a tiny amount when subjected to a high pressure.

I'm sure my dad said he has used a Y piece on his washing machine but then he is getting on a bit.
If the washing m/c is cold fill only, then UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you be using a Y piece.

Errr... pardon me but didn`t Agile sort it? because I`m getting the feeling (as usual) that certain people are jumping in at the end (as usual) to mop up an already solved prob.. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
I'm feeling a bit thick about this Y piece scenario - please would someone enlighten me?
then I discussed some details with Agile...
Agile said:
Sorry, you are probably quite right!
Softus said:
I'm curious - is this the arrangement that you once saw at a customer who had a similar problem to the OP?
Agile said:
Yes, but I dont remember if it had a third hose and a back to back!
And then said:
Errr... pardon me but didn`t Agile sort it?

Softus said:
twigsie said:
right?

Sunday October 15th three days ago?. :rolleyes: I didn`t write.. I typed ;)

+++++++++++++++++++
Is this a useful and constructive discussion?

Votes please

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++++

No, but at least it gives you something to do ;)

MR said:
...? (albeit in bold, for some reason)
The original discussion ended with ChrisR's post; everything posted after that is a waste of hard disk space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back