Frameless door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Anybody able to think of a way of making a frameless door . The ones without trims on the outside of the lining?

Want a flush look upto door lining but still have a timber lining so I can fix hinges too.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Anybody able to think of a way of making a frameless door . The ones without trims on the outside of the lining?

Want a flush look upto door lining but still have a timber lining so I can fix hinges too.

Thanks
Your post is a contradiction. First you ask for 'frameless' then in the same post ask for a timber door lining....?

The issue with any casing/lining/frame is the connection between plasterboard and timber and the subsequent cracking due to shrinkage. This is resolved with an architrave. This element is purely aesthetic and you can finish the wall flush if you wish - i.e. zero architrave. But it will look awful, especially when the skirting boards are fitted.

You could centrally fit a narrower door frame (as opposed to a casing or lining) into the aperture, then return the plaster to the frame, thus creating narrow door reveals? Again - an odd look in my opinion and would likely limit the full opening capability of the door.

You can do 'frameless' doors, well they're not really frameless it's just that the plasterboard would run past the frame until they meet the door, would need to give some serious consideration to how the hinges work and they open, I would say even with plasterboard on the wall where you can finish it nicely with a stop bead it might be prone to cracking, if traditional plaster they'll be much more chance of cracking, the wall needs to be pretty robust either way and a really solid fixing of the frame into the wall. Or you can buy off the shelf hidden doorsets but they're pretty expensive, posh houses have this kind of stuff all the time.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back