Frantic Call From Mum....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My Ma rang in a real tizz, saying she had water coming out of the bottom of the machine.

It's an AEG Lavamat W/D. She put it on a wash cycle and it stopped at 59m.

She thought there was too much in it, so she somehow (I don't know how, and I don't think she does either, bless her) managed to open the door and, although the clothes were sopping and soapy, there was no spillage on the floor.

She put the reduced load on another wash cycle, but it got stuck at 59m again.

This time, she panicked and pressed several buttons repeatedly, including a tumble dry button that was illuminated and the start/ pause button.

Then she said the machine started leaking water from underneath.

She then found the outside drain frozen up, so covered the pipe with several kettles of boiling water ( :eek: ) then put the machine on rinse and spin and watched the water flow out to the outside grid.

There was no water coming from under the machine when this happened.

She's worried about whether the machine is busted or that it will leak water again.

I realise I have presented you with a really garbled story and it may not be entirely accurate, but do you have any ideas or suggestions for her?

I do think perhaps the water under the machine came out of the door when she opened it. I did suggest that to her but she seemed to think not.

Perhaps it started to pump out but because it was frozen there was backflow up the standpipe and that accounts for the water under the machine?

Cheers, people.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it started to pump out but because it was frozen there was backflow up the standpipe and that accounts for the water under the machine?
That would be my guess, given the circumstances.
Aww, poor mum!

...and are there any other connections on that waste run? An emptied sink could mean the pipe was already full, before the wash started.

Last edited:
Yes, there's a 1.5 sink on that run too.

Yes, the Flexi is hooked into the standpipe behind.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for helping me make sense of it.

My poor old Ma does get upset if things go wrong. I can understand that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back