Freaky Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can help me.

We moved into this house just over 2 years ago. The house has quite an old boiler (about 20-25 years old, I think) in the kitchen, and an airing cupboard with a water tank, and a control pad for the hot water and heating. There ia a thermostat on the wall in the landing.

We have had problems with the central heating before - last year we needed to get a plumber in to fit a new pump - but it usually works fine.

This year, we've tried to put it on properly for the first time this week, and can't seem to get it working. The boiler does work, in that it can heat the radiators, but only if we press the button for an hour of hot water and the thermostat is set to 0. Even this doesn't seem to work every time.

We want the hot water and heating to come on for an hour in the morning and for a few hours in the afternoon/evening and have set it up for this, but, although the lights come on on the control pad at the right times, there's no heat, whatever the thermostat is set to.

So, the boiler is perfectly capable of heating the radiators, but doesn't seem to want to do it when we want it, only if we ask for an hour of hot water.

Any ideas? We've actually not used the central heating since about March and have only put the hot water on when we've needed it.

I would be grateful for any advice! :eek:

Thanks

Inspector B.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply!

The boiler is an Ideal Elan 2 and the control panel says "Drayton Tempus Seven".

The boiler looks very old (I think it was the original and this house was built in the 80s.) whereas the control panel thing seems quite modern.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back