Fred Dibna

I loved Fred's method of felling a mill chimney... hack a hole at the base half the circumference, propping the hole with telegraph poles as you go, then pile old tyres in the hole and set them alight. It never failed. It goes without saying that you couldn't do it now. Health and Safety were onto Fred by the end of his felling career, making him wear Hi-Viz and a hard hat.

He hated the hard hat. His cloth cap served him perfectly well - except when he got an infection from it caused by pigeon muck.

Sponsored Links
Not the blue peter footage, but this is what he did (guy at the top) pure insanity if you ask me.

Sponsored Links
According to a mentor on a confidence building course
If you can walk along a one foot wide beam that is one foot above the ground without falling off then you can do the same walk when the beam is one hundred feet above the ground

0:42 is where that one starts to get really scary and 0:58 is where I draw the line and call him a nutter!

somewhat twisted sense of humour.

Just the mile and a bit to fall and a shade over 20 seconds to think about it.

EDIT: got a bit dyslexic over its height. Still is a bloody long way down.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first joined the Fire Service it was a regular thing to do Hook Ladder Drills on the Tower

"Elf n Safety" finally banned them .

b83ebfdad5da4df003b4bdb5ec7c16c0.jpg

The thought of climbing 98m on even on a gently rocking sea just to keep the music coming gives me the willies.

offshore_caroline_ross_revenge_fotoflite_flyer.jpg
RR mast Dennis Jason.jpg

When I first joined the Fire Service it was a regular thing to do Hook Ladder Drills on the Tower

"Elf n Safety" finally banned them .

b83ebfdad5da4df003b4bdb5ec7c16c0.jpg
I too did a stint on them fire engines repairing them as a lad, one of my first treats was to be sent right up one of those old ERF wooden turntable ladders. They then went in for tea break and left me up there :D MY first taste of being high up on a wobbly ladder like Fred's. Some people just don't have the fear gene!

Sponsored Links
Back