Free Credit Score services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the deal with these?

Myself, girlfriend and daughter just got the Experian one and mine was the lowest by 200 points. Bit surprising as I have a credit card, loan and car finance which i’ve never missed a payment on.

Should I be looking to improve my score or are they a gimmick?

How would I improve it?

Sponsored Links
might be related to age, time in current job, time at current address.

Are you on the voters' register? (the private one is OK)

Yes I’m on the voters register. We all moved in in April this year but bought the house in February 2016.

The only financial occurrences I have had have been when I cancelled a direct debit after Rochdale Council charged me 150% council tax when they shouldn’t have, they sent a summons but eventually admitted they were wrong.

The other was my mobile phone direct debit was cancelled (I have no idea why) so I had to pay by card and reinstate the DD.

Would they knock my score down?

Not totally sure, but I think having too much credit also lowers the score.

And yes, you could've been knocked down on the council shenanigans, but I think you can inform the credit rating company, or the council do, something like that, and put it right.

Sponsored Links
sure, if you get a recommended card from them (offer) apply, little risky I guess, bit if accepted your score will soar to 999. Complete scam, but hey play the game!

They take all sorts into account including your total borrowing and total possible borrowing over all your cards.

I got stuck at 997 for ages, never made the magic 999. Took a loan out for sorting the house and paying for our holiday and thats took it down a peg.

Money Saving Supermarket have a free Credit Club, you can download your credit file from there and have a read (quite important to make sure it's all correct!).

Oh don't put an expensive purchase on your CC even if you're taking advantage of the 0% on purchases.. it will bu88er your score!

sure, if you get a recommended card from them (offer) apply, little risky I guess, bit if accepted your score will soar to 999. Complete scam, but hey play the game!

So if I applied for the below card, put £1500 on it then paid it off i’d go upto 999?

83968F89-BC2C-49FB-AE77-799692E3EDDE.png

Oh don't put an expensive purchase on your CC even if you're taking advantage of the 0% on purchases.. it will bu88er your score!

I’ve done that on a Sainsbury’s card at 0% over 3years.

They take all sorts into account including your total borrowing and total possible borrowing over all your cards.

I got stuck at 997 for ages, never made the magic 999. Took a loan out for sorting the house and paying for our holiday and thats took it down a peg.

Money Saving Supermarket have a free Credit Club, you can download your credit file from there and have a read (quite important to make sure it's all correct!).

So cancel any cards I don’t use? I have 2 that I don’t use.

I know it doesn't (or might not) apply to Ian but never having had any credit will result in a low score, because you won't have proved you are reliable and good at repaying.

Sponsored Links
Back