Free heating upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't move this yet! it's not about heating, but common sense.

Today my mother who lives in a, culd de sac, of elderly can have free (actually be fitted now) solar panels to do it's job

they are fitting on the west side of roof,

? :rolleyes:

go on, convince me.

Sponsored Links
I presume that is the best roof surface in terms of orientation?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its for free and there is no catch? More energy will be saved having cavity wall insulation, the roof lagged and proper PVCu windows.

This one`s gonna run and run..............West Side Story :rolleyes:

out of interest, what does a company gain by doing work for nothing?

it's not about heating, but common sense.

I will predict that (a) the government or council are paying and (b) the monkeys they've employed have no common sense! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not the least bit surprized. There must be lots of people out there doing what they've been told to do but with little or no knowledge about what they're actually doing.

We had a good example of this in our street recently. The council decided to replace all our old street lamps. Good for them. :) :) :) They contracted the job out to somebody else. Not so good. :( :( :( The contractors started digging holes and planting posts at a cracking rate. Good for them? Wrong. They gave no thought to exactly where the posts were going but blindly followed their instructions to plant them a certain distance apart. Several people got them so close to gate posts that they will never be able to widen their drives later. One post went in directly below a tree! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It got worse. They filled the holes in with concrete without wiring them up. The electricians arrived later and had to cut through the concrete to get their cables in. :mad: :mad: :mad: A length of plastic pipe buried in the concrete would have saved a lot of work but that would have needed common sense!

PS: After several complaints to the council they must have got their act together because they started putting the posts on property boundaries.

Is this a government or local council initiative?

That's right bolo, but the point i was making,why not use the south facing roofs ?
Why try to catch the sun as it's cooling down?
Ibought my house mainly because the south facing direction of the rear garden has sun (when it shows) nearly all day, or am i missing something?

Why try to catch the sun as it's cooling down?
Ibought my house mainly because the south facing direction of the rear garden has sun (when it shows) nearly all day, or am i missing something?

Gardening is better in a south facing aspect because of the warmth - as you say.

Solar panels go on UV energy, not the warmth you feel. So the aspect which get the most time in the light is the best one. Which would still be the south facing one.

But there's also a cost in cabling; maybe that's a factor?

Sponsored Links
Back