Freeze proof outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can get such a thing in the United Kingdom? Something like the following

http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/10-WallFaucets/MA-MF/MA-features.htm

Seems such a good idea to me. Presumably one imported from North America would not have appropriate approvals and the 3/4" MIP connector is not going to be much use in the UK, though some Googling indicates that appropriate quick connect adapters are available.

Thoughts?
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know if you can get such a thing in the United Kingdom? Something like the following

http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/10-WallFaucets/MA-MF/MA-features.htm

Seems such a good idea to me. Presumably one imported from North America would not have appropriate approvals and the 3/4" MIP connector is not going to be much use in the UK, though some Googling indicates that appropriate quick connect adapters are available.

Thoughts?
[/url]

approvals from who?
stick a double check valve feeding it and you have covered yourself?

and its easy to get fittings to adapt

so Go Ferret

approvals from who?
wras
gros10-1.gif

Sponsored Links
Why doesn't the OP just fit an isolation to the outside tap, turning it off in the winter, thats the done thing on outside taps I thought.

approvals from who?

WRAS for example? Though as you say if I stick a double check valve which I need anyway as it is an outside tap then as Regulation 4 requires “every fitting to be of an appropriate quality and standard and be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used”, that fact that the one I posted a link to has a whole bunch of approvals in other countries and is down stream of a double check valve would seem to me to be perfectly satisfactory. However I am only a DIY'er and would value the opinion of those in the trade and who have to deal with water supply companies.

so Go Ferret

Sure fittings to adapt to 1/2" copper pipe are easy to come by, I even have some 1/2" copper pipe I can use. However I was thinking more of the 3/4" MIP threaded connector for the hose pipe. It would appear however that Gardena sell adapters in the USA for their quick connect system so I am covered, but they would need to be sourced from north America as well.

approvals from who?

WRAS for example? Though as you say if I stick a double check valve which I need anyway as it is an outside tap then as Regulation 4 requires “every fitting to be of an appropriate quality and standard and be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used”, that fact that the one I posted a link to has a whole bunch of approvals in other countries and is down stream of a double check valve would seem to me to be perfectly satisfactory. However I am only a DIY'er and would value the opinion of those in the trade and who have to deal with water supply companies.

so Go Ferret

Sure fittings to adapt to 1/2" copper pipe are easy to come by, I even have some 1/2" copper pipe I can use. However I was thinking more of the 3/4" MIP threaded connector for the hose pipe. It would appear however that Gardena sell adapters in the USA for their quick connect system so I am covered, but they would need to be sourced from north America as well.

FFS stick a hose oan yer kitchen tap and lob it oot yer windae

and for that reason and like gordon strachan i am out of here

and who is going to tell `em

thats up to you if thats how you like to work.
but i prefer not to have the fine and walk away from a customers property happy that its all done correct.

did i post this thread?
did i suggest fitting some yank import?
did i suggest fitting a double check valve before fitting yank import?
i have made no offer of work?
as far as i can see its a diyer farting about on the net,has seen a product
that he has not seen in uk,wants to know if he can fit it.

chinese nappy fuelled condensing boiler....no way hose a!!
yank imported outside tap...fill yer boots mate

Chances are fittings made for the american market will have National Pipe threads (US standard), but the pipework the OP is going to connect it to will have BSP threads (UK standard), so the chances are it isn't going to fit the way it should.....

I take objection to the notion of farting about.

I have seen what looks to me at least a sensible product idea. I originally asked if these sorts of devices where available in the U.K. I thought that may those in the trade might know if they are available in the U.K. or perhaps Europe.

As I am going to be refitting my kitchen later this year and will be dealing with the fact that at the moment the outside tap does not have a double check valve on it (nothing to do with me, it was like that when I brought the property), if I could get a freeze proof outside tap at a reasonable price why not fit it?

The USA prices on the web indicate that I could expect to pay around £20 for one, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That said I could import one, which would obviously cost more and have approval issues. However as I have some 1/2" copper pipe that came out when I upgraded the bathroom, a solder joint and connection to 15mm pipe work is trivial. Also Gardena do quick fit adapters for the American market aka with 3/4" MIP threads, I would have a perfectly functioning outside tap.

I did find a "Conceal-A-Tap" from Arrowvalves, but this is a vandal proof device, and at £325 it is rather pricey.

I take objection to the notion of farting about

any advice or info i have given you is now rescinded and your attitude
for a diyer on here looking for advice stinks.

GIRFUY

View media item 11912

any advice or info i have given you is now rescinded and your attitude
for a diyer on here looking for advice stinks.

GIRFUY

I am not farting about, and the suggestion that I am is and remains offensive.

I would also add the original post did not ask for advice. I asked if anyone knew if such a device was available in the U.K. which is something entirely different. It would appear from the lack of replies actually addressing the original question that they are not. Which is a shame because they are a good product idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back