French Powerboat Purchase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any experience in the purchase of a power boat from French owners?
My son has identified a 40 footer available northern France and is making inquiries via a French broker to purchase and sail to UK.
My son has owned UK based boats in the past, but his first time buying overseas.
The paperwork for ownership is supposed to be different to that of UK boats, and although the broker is stating the paperwork is in order, my son's schoolboy French is not making things easy for him.
Cheers All

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have any experience in the purchase of a power boat from French owners?
My son has identified a 40 footer available northern France and is making inquiries via a French broker to purchase and sail to UK.
My son has owned UK based boats in the past, but his first time buying overseas.
The paperwork for ownership is supposed to be different to that of UK boats, and although the broker is stating the paperwork is in order, my son's schoolboy French is not making things easy for him.
Cheers All
No idea about French purchasing regulations, but I would ask why they are selling it, have they been put out of business by the French navy taking over the crossing route ?

Cheers All

No experience at all. However, when I used to sail out of Poole there were several people who regularly bought boats from Belgium and France and from what they said it was no different to buying a boat here.
The brokers are usually pretty good, Being a French boat it should be VAT paid status, but there can be reasons why that might not be the case, so that would be my only concern and something the broker will advise on.

Let me know if he needs any crew.

Sponsored Links
The purchase of the powerboat is near closure, but a problem now is how to get to Caen to collect it. Britanny Ferries do a daily sailing Portsmouth to Caen, but due to the social distancing rules, no foot passengers are permitted until end October. Only vehicles and their passengers are permitted.
If there is anyone out there who has booked a crossing in Aug with their car/motorhome and fancy a couple of paying passengers, give me a shout!

Is he keeping it on a French flag? The broker will try to prevent this, but its in his interests, if he can pull it off.

With the boat you should get a book called "Acte de Francisation" which is where you will find the registration number etc from new and names, dates etc of ownership for all previous owners. When you buy a boat, you need to take the book to the "Receveur des Douanes" - The customs where the boat is registered. This is also visible in the Acte de Francisation) thats where you have it amended.

Is EU VAT paid? he'll need a receipts - also if the boat has a radio with DSC there is a need to get that reprogrammed or replaced.

40ft powerboat is meaningless - what's he buying?

Depending on the cost - he should get a survey. highly unlikely he's getting a great deal at the moment given Exchange rate and demand.

Is he keeping it on a French flag? The broker will try to prevent this, but its in his interests, if he can pull it off.

With the boat you should get a book called "Acte de Francisation" which is where you will find the registration number etc from new and names, dates etc of ownership for all previous owners. When you buy a boat, you need to take the book to the "Receveur des Douanes" - The customs where the boat is registered. This is also visible in the Acte de Francisation) thats where you have it amended.

Is EU VAT paid? he'll need a receipts - also if the boat has a radio with DSC there is a need to get that reprogrammed or replaced.

40ft powerboat is meaningless - what's he buying?

Depending on the cost - he should get a survey. highly unlikely he's getting a great deal at the moment given Exchange rate and demand.

He's purchasing it through a broker and has already visited to conduct a quick viewing/sea trial. Subject to a full survey being conducted this week, it could all be wrapped up by the end of the month. He is already a member of our local yacht club so is fully conscious of the paperwork requirements. Getting to Caen to collect it is the main headache. During his initial viewing, he drove there and back via ferry, but wont need the car next time and foot passengers are currently not permitted.
Don't think UK car hire firms offer a one way trip to France.
:(:(

Sponsored Links
Back