French Powerboat Purchase

Sponsored Links
Make sure there are no stow aways on the boat ;)

france /French ;)

Yes exactly

I'd double check the foot passenger thing as the rules changed last week. I've also heard you can take a bicycle to get round the issue.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fly or train to Paris, then Paris to Caen by rail is about 2 hours.
You book your seat on French rail when you book your ticket. Aller Simple is one way.

There are also airlines that go to smaller French airfields, such as Dinard, northern Brittany. Then taxi to Dol de Bretagne (about 25 miles), then train to Caen (about 2.5 hours).

Or, from Dinard taxi to St Malo (about 5 miles), then train to Caen, via Dol de Bretagne.

Or Fly to Dinard, or Paris (fly or train), then one way car hire within France.

https://www.sixt.global/?language=e...B&exactag_uk=42d52eea615b4ab0b1c94096eee96a94

Quite a few options.

Does anyone have any experience in the purchase of a power boat from French owners?
My son has identified a 40 footer available northern France and is making inquiries via a French broker to purchase and sail to UK.
My son has owned UK based boats in the past, but his first time buying overseas.
The paperwork for ownership is supposed to be different to that of UK boats, and although the broker is stating the paperwork is in order, my son's schoolboy French is not making things easy for him.
Cheers All
how many people do you need to bring?:whistle:

I'd double check the foot passenger thing as the rules changed last week. I've also heard you can take a bicycle to get round the issue.
Not for Brittany Ferries.
upload_2020-7-23_10-6-53.png

There are other operators to Caen.

Another option is to put a message on suitable expat sites for a seat for a one-way crossing.
UnitedinBrittany and UnitedinNormandy

There are a few others.

Panic over - One of my son's close mates has offered to drive them over to Caen for a couple of days for a jolly, then drive back whilst the boat is sailed across the channel.
Cheers all for the suggestions.....and quips ;)

So about £7-800 in fuel to get it home then, assuming he doesn't go mad. Should take about 5-6 hours depending on the sea state and tide. Very nice boat.

He's never crossed the channel before and the French authorities are supposed to be quite strict on boat owner qualifications (you wouldn't think so with the many illegal crossings going on), so an experienced skipper is making the trip with him. It'll be a pleasant jolly along the south coast and round Lands End to S.Wales if the weather stays calm. :)

He's never crossed the channel before and the French authorities are supposed to be quite strict on boat owner qualifications (you wouldn't think so with the many illegal crossings going on), so an experienced skipper is making the trip with him. It'll be a pleasant jolly along the south coast and round Lands End to S.Wales if the weather stays calm. :)

I remember when I was toying with the idea of buying my first boat, I was at either the Southampton or Earls Court boat show, I'm not sure which but seeing a stand for a marine insurance company, i thought it might be wise to enquire about the cost of insurance.
The chap asked me the value of the boat I didn't yet own, I said about 15K, he said "OK we'll call that 25K with contents".
"Do you have any qualifications?"
No.
"Do you have any experience at all"
No.
"Have you ever been on a boat?"
Yes, once.

"OK, with 2 million pounds public liability, that will be an annual premium of 147 quid"
Pardon?

The silly thing was insurance wasn't even a legal requirement, although most marinas and moorings stipulated your boat must be insured.

With regard to qualifications, the RYA are recognised as being among the best in the world, although not recognised by EU countries, who insist on the ICC (international certificate of competence), which is a half day course involving basic boat handling.

Deal is done and he's on his way home. Weather is being kind to him so looking forward to a few beers when alongside. :LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back