Freshly painted french door sticking to door jamb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've painted our exterior french doors and the right hand door is sticking to the door jamb nearest the hinge (not the door frame that the hinge is mounted to; It's the jamb that it shuts against).

It's like the door is now too tight to it, so it is getting squashed against it. I've tried packing out the hinges but that made no difference.

In an ideal world I'd re-drill the hinge holes on the frame, but they only need shifting back by a couple of millimetres, which means that the newly-drilled holes would be too close together.

Can anyone offer any advice? Photos attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240515_135744.jpg
    20240515_135744.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240515_135750.jpg
    20240515_135750.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240515_135820.jpg
    20240515_135820.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240515_135826.jpg
    20240515_135826.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 9
Sponsored Links
In an ideal world I'd re-drill the hinge holes on the frame, but they only need shifting back by a couple of millimetres, which means that the newly-drilled holes would be too close together.

Loosen all the screws, from the jamb side of the hinge, then remove the hinge screws one at a time, push a match into the screw hole, then reinsert the screw, so the match is nearest the side of the hole, where it is catching. It should move the hinge over by around 0.5mm.

As per @Harry Bloomfield 's post, I super glue matchsticks in. Some people glue in wooden dowels.

The alternative is to use a sanding block to sand the (posible) paint build up on the door stop. That often, but not always, works.

Sponsored Links
As per @Harry Bloomfield 's post, I super glue matchsticks in. Some people glue in wooden dowels.

The alternative is to use a sanding block to sand the (posible) paint build up on the door stop. That often, but not always, works.
Thanks Opps. I've been out and bought matchsticks so will give that a go tomorrow. If that fails then I'll attack 8t with the sander...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back