Tightening loose hinge causes door to stick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm just working through my DIY 'to do' list, and came to look at the loose (external) door hinge I have.

The door is wooden, and has three hinges. The bottom one seems to be loose where attached to the frame. When the door is opened too wide, it hits some skirting behind it, which causes the bottom hinge to jolt, and come loose (at the frame).

I tried to adjust the existing screws frame-hinge, but they no-longer gripped, so I tried some longer ones. However, when tight they now cause the door to stick on the opposite side of the hinges (between the middle and bottom hinge).

I've had to loosen the screws for now so the door functions correctly, though I guess this is less than idea. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
it you can install a door stop before the door hits the skirting.

take the new bigger screws out,fill the holes with either used match sticks or cocktail sticks glue these in with a bit of pva,once dry pre drill and then using the correct size screw for the hinge screw it up.

Thanks for that. It had crossed my mind, though I assumed the door stop have the same effect as the door hitting the skirting (i.e. still a jolt, acting as a pivot and eventually levering the hinges out)

are the screw heads fully flush with the hinge
are they the correct size??

Sponsored Links

Thanks for that. It had crossed my mind, though I assumed the door stop have the same effect as the door hitting the skirting (i.e. still a jolt, acting as a pivot and eventually levering the hinges out)

not if you position it correctly.too close to the hinge side then of course the effect will be to flip it off the butts.
but make sure it doesnt create a trip hazard.

i made 1 at work with a similar problem,made it out of hard wood and routered a design into it to make it look nice,cured the problem as i havnt touched that door for about 6 years now.

Unfortunately the skirting is only approx 150 mm long anyway, and at a slight angle towards where the door should open (so the door hits the corner). For the 99p it'll cost for a door stop, I may try it anyway!

Two people have mentioned using the correct sized hinges. How would I know whether they are the correct size? Should the hinges indicate the screws to be used?

The ones I found in the door already are only 1" long.

(All screw heads are flush)

is the bottom hinge convex by any chance,() rather then being flat.
this could cause the door to be thrown over to the closing side and bind?

if it is take it off and give it a smack with a hammer,unless its a brass/chrome hinge, ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back