Front porch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all –

I've currently got a porch and path at the front of the house paved in different shaped, coloured paving stones – the sort you used to get in the '80s – yellow, green, pink etc. The mortar in between has crumbled and broken away and I want to give the whole thing a facelift. Not only that but the pavers on the porch area have been triple painted in some kind of horrible brick red floor paint which I've tried again and again to get off with wire wool, nitromors and a jet wash.

I've already started work on the rest of the front and the borders running down the sides of the path and have covered it in pea gravel. I was thinking of pulling up the old pavers on the path and covering it in gravel but just sitting some new pavers there first, with gravel around them like stepping stones. I'm guessing that with a bit of sand underneath and weed membrane that would be okay but I'm not sure what to do about the porch as it would mean taking the pavers out right up to house. I wonder if I could get away with laying down a thin(it) layer of concrete on top of the old pavers on the porch. Does anyone know if this would be okay? How thick does a layer of concrete need to be and would it crack?

Any help appreciated. Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back