Functional earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Know this is an ole chestnut but still appreciate your advice.

Just bought new double socket switch from Homebase. It's to replace a damaged one, and is where spur takes power to our conservatory.

I noticed that this one has a second earth terminal and this is meant to connect to "functional earth". I know this refers to connector on back box etc, but can I ignore as mine is plastic??

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What is a double socket switch?

I noticed that this one has a second earth terminal and this is meant to connect to "functional earth".
Why do you say that?

A "functional earth" is one where it is necessary for the 'functioning' of the device.
This is not the case with a socket or switch.

I know this refers to connector on back box etc, but can I ignore as mine is plastic??
You cannot earth a plastic back box.
It may have a terminal for parking an unused earth wire.

Thanks for speedy responses.

1. Was just referring to front section of socket.

2. The diagram that came with the socket refers to one of the two earth terminals (the one next to neutral) connecting to functional earth. Apols for misinterpreting this.

I have to accommodate three earth wires (previously in one terminal) so grateful for advice in this respect.

Cheers

IMG_1031.JPG

Sponsored Links
That's a bit (or very) misleading. I would think it is they who are misinterpreting.

Both earth terminals are connected by a metal bar so have exactly the same function. :)

You may use either or both.

IMG_1032.JPG Sorry, duff gen. Mine is switched and double pole.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 249
Crossed in post

Hopefully, doesn't make a difference to your advice.

Thank you.

Ta. Being of feeble brain, can I ask one, final question?

Would it be acceptable to share the 3 earth wires between the two terminals? ( Had some difficulty getting all three into one)

Thanks again.

There is no difference between the Earths as shown in the leaflet. They are both connected to each other by a strip of metal.

A functional earth, also known as a clean earth, does not normally connect to the earth in the cabling which is the CPC ( Circuit Protective Conductor ). The functional earth must be able to carry enough fault current to ensure that circuit protection devices ( fuses, MCB, RCD etc ) will operate when a fault occurs in the equipment supplied by the socket.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...tion-to-functional-earth.477540/#post-3845320

They are both connected to each other by a strip of metal.
Best to check. There are some twin socket-outlets on the market that have separated PE terminals, intended so that one socket-outlet can be connected to a 'noiseless' earth, if you can find one.

Is the implication that this:

screenshot_1248.jpg

is not a functional earth?

I wonder who makes this socket, and where...

Is the implication that this:
is not a functional earth?

I wonder who makes this socket, and where...
I think the implication is that the manufacturer, or at least the guy that wrote the leaflet, is incompetent. The earth and "functional earth" are clearly connected in the socket.

It would certainly be interesting to know the brand. Homebase sell a lot of Schneider stuff, but maybe other stuff too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back