Funny Incident

I have only ever seen a couple of IT supplies in use, for TNC it is against supply regs for a consumer to combine neutral and earth into a single cable hence on the domestic installation after the suppliers cut-out you should never see it in use.

Sponsored Links
i know what they are/what there used for etc, but considerin my lecturer has not even herd of them, and said they dont exist, doesnt look good....

what is the difference between phase and live please ?

phase is live, but phase is also the word which describes the amplitude/angle of the sine wave at a specific point in time (correct? :eek: )

Sponsored Links
By definition in the regs, both phase and neutral are live conductors.

lor said:
what is the difference between phase and live please ?

technically, both live and neutral are classed as 'live' (because they carry a current in normal operation/non-fault conditions). phase is 'live'

Spark123 said:
By definition in the regs, both phase and neutral are live conductors.
well done :)

Quote IEE Wiring Regs 16th edition + 2002 & 2004 amendments

Phase conductor : A conductor of an a.c. system for the transmission of electrical energy other than neutral conductor, a protective conductor or a PEN conductor. the term also means the equivalent conductor of a d.c. system unless otherwise specified in the Regulations

Live Part :A conductor or conductive part intended to be energised in normal use, including neutral conductor but, by convention, not a PEN conductor

When I was studying an electrical installation course, just before an exam we were looking at a past paper and one question was 'An overcucurrent is defined as occuring in a circuit which is :
a electrically sound
b as the rsult of a fault
there were also two other answers but I looked in BS7671 and a was right . The lecturer said B was the right answer. I only looked looked in the regulations after however and guess what ........... the same question in the past paper appered in the paper that my group sat. For some one question could have meant the differrence between passing and failing the exam!

Read this carefully - the question with answer b on the end - it makes no sense. The lecturer was wrong. IMO, the question was badly worded, and A would have been a more appropriate answer. The circuit is electrically sound, but now has an overcurrent running. Doesn't mean theres anything wrong with the circuit, or that there is a fault. Someone might have plugged too many appliances in.
CAWORK said:
An overcucurrent is defined as occuring in a circuit which is :as the rsult of a fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back