fuse keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my fuse switch keeps tripping out when all the appliances are on in the kitchen e.g dishwasher,dryer.kettle,washer is this a problem

Sponsored Links
I take it by fuse you mean mcb (take it that is yes) I also presume it is only the one for the kitchen that trips, and everything else stays on.

unfortunately it is "normal" because as you say when all the appliances are on

lets take those appliances

dishwasher 13 amps (or close to it) when in Drying mode

kettle 7 - 13 amps when on

washing m/c 13 amps when heating

tumble dryer 13 amps when on

that makes 46 - 52 amps (depending on kettle) as your mcb is likely to be 32 A even 42 is too much so that is why it trips.

Uprating it is out of the question since your kitchen will (probably) be wired in 2.5 mm twin and earth

you may also find it doesn't always trip, this is because your washing m/c and dish washer do not "heat" all the time they are on, so if you take them out that means your 52 amps now becomes 26 amps which is under the rating of your 32A mcb, also you may not always want a cuppa, so that is another 7 - 13 amps you loose.

you have 5 options.

1) Build an extension and put the washing m/c and drier out there

2) Put another ring in your kitchen

3) As you are now corgi registered have a gas tumble drier, and a gas kettle (my mum still has one)

4) Dont switch them all on at the same time

5) Put up with it

4 is the easiest option, but 2 is also a good idea

cheers breezer for the info i'll go with number 4 dont have them on all at the same time

Just for information,

Does the mcb always tripped before blowing the fused in the plug ? or am'I missing the point,what is the reason the fused blow in the plug at what point ?

And if it's a 13amp appliance,does the fuse blow exactly at 13amp or after a period of time or blow just before reaching 13amp ?

Sponsored Links
or am'I missing the point
Yes, the fuse dont blow, he just overloads the circuit, mcb trips to prevent damage to cable

The fuse in the 13A plug of the appliance would not blow because that fuse is only protecting that individual appliance, whose current is within the normal range (under the rating of the fuse). It is when all the appliances are combined together that the circuit is over loaded and trippes the MCB. At what stage does the fuse blow? Well I have seen current well exceeding the fuse rating before it blows e.g 480A taking almost 495A to blow (I work with the ESB in Ireland). On a smaller scale the fuse will blow pretty close to the rating on it's casing. Perhaps a discrepancy of approx .25 - .75 of an amp.

for what its worth when i was at college our lecturer told us one class managed to get 26 amps through a 13 amp fuse, it was done by very gradully increasing the load, put it on at one go and yes it went.

I am not recomending any one try this, i should also point out my college was for us as aprentice eletricians

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back