Fuse? Can you help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lost power in two kitchen appliances (washer-dryer and dishwasher) operated by this switch. We have checked trip switches, etc. but there's no obvious problem there. There is no fuse at the front of this switch; we took the front off and couldn't see a fuse behind it either. Any ideas?

IMG_2421.JPG

Sponsored Links
There is no fuse at the front of this switch; we took the front off and couldn't see a fuse behind it either.
There will be fuses in the appliance plugs.

It is unlikely that both fuses will have blown so more likely a loose or broken/burnt wire somewhere - as you have looked in the switch, probably in the appliance socket.

If they both plug in to a double socket, it may be too much current drawn by these two appliances which has caused this.

Have a look and post a photo.

That is just a switch with a hole for a flex. Either the switch has failed, wire(s) are loose or the fault is elsewhere.

Do you have a means of testing for voltage? This would ideally be a two pole/probe tester.
There could be a few reasons why you have lost power, but you would need to do some fault finding first. Even if the MCB is in the on position, they do fail. Also there could be another in-line fuse somewhere downstream of the board. Then there is also the possibility of loose/damaged connections or failure of the isolation switch contacts.
Another thing to check would be the existence of RCD protection on this circuit, that could have tripped giving you power loss to this circuit.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried gently moving the breaker that feeds this circuit, gently to the OFF position, and then back ON, I have seen some breakers that need to be moved to the OFF position, before being reset to the ON position, in order to return power supply?? (MK comes to mind).

I remember having that problem with dad's kitchen. I removed sockets and replaced and switches and replaced then I found a FCU with a cupboard mounted on top of it. It was only a fuse blown after all that work. Kitchen now re-wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back