Fused spur back to where it came

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all’
Firstly sorry if this does not read great I’m new here so here goes. I did have fused spur for my wall light connect to existing lighting circuit it was connected to a 2 way lighting system. I have since replaced the plasterboard and I can not get the spur to have constant feed. Anytime I switch the connect light on it triggers the spur and vice Versa. I am connecting to the switching live (yellow) if I connect to the live (red) on the 3 core it still does not operate correctly. is there a reason for this or could the spur be knackered. If I connect to the twin core it still does not connect.

Spur has standard In out L N E

Sponsored Links
What have you used for the Neutral connection?

You cannot usually connect a new light to an existing two-way lighting circuit.

Maybe normally However this was connected previously and working fine.

There is a neutral at the switch I’m convinced. Just to add the spur is connected to a light

Sponsored Links
There would need to have neutral at switch for it to work previously

Maybe normally However this was connected previously and working fine.
Did we know that?

There is a neutral at the switch I’m convinced. Just to add the spur is connected to a light
So where does the neutral come from?

There would need to have neutral at switch for it to work previously
There would - so you must have connected it differently than previously.

Post some pictures of the wiring.

Yes sorry there is blue and spur is needed as it goes to outside light on wall. Thanks for replies still renovating house on a sat night at 1am lol. Other jobs to be done until daytime.

two-way-real.jpg
Shown is the standard two way lighting wiring diagram, the grey loops show the cables, earths left out for clarity, there is a permanent line to both switches, but no neutral, however the furthest left wire will be at neutral potential when the light is switched off, so if the extra light is small and the original is large some times it can seem as if it's working OK until you try to switch on both.

It may be possible to reuse old cables by using kinetic light switches that use radio links instead of hard wired, where three and earth has been used for all switch drops.

When my mothers house was wired all switch drops were using three core cable, the extra core could be used for neutral or two way switching.
Alt-two-way-wiring.jpg
As shown here the switches connected at the ceiling rose, but it depends how your house has been wired, it is more normal to wire switch to switch not switch to rose to switch.

Please don't call a FCU a spur.

Edit - I replied to a post from Winston which has disappeared.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back