Fused Spur education

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does every appliance in a kitchen (an appliance that's considered integrated) need a Fused Spur?

For example, a boiler does. I assume an electric oven does, an electric hob... an extractor fan, what about an integrated fridge and separate freezer?

I'm just assembling my order for socketry and things, I am wondering whether I need to up the number the Electrician said I needed from 5 to 6 because I am going to go for an electric hob and he'd previously assumed gas. I think this may require more work at the Consumer Board too?

He may not be happy with me when he returns from holiday.

Sponsored Links
Does every appliance in a kitchen (an appliance that's considered integrated) need a Fused Spur?
No, none does.

For example, a boiler does.
Not really - electrically.
It would depend on the situation so the manufacturer calls for one.

I assume an electric oven does, an electric hob... an extractor fan, what about an integrated fridge and separate freezer?
No, no, no, no and no.

These appliances (except boiler probably) will have a fuse in the plug so a second is unnecessary.
If you want a switch, that is up to you.

They are fashion.

Ooh, interesting... it seemed to be assumed that there would be a bunch of Fused Spurs ordered and fitted. The Electrician has said that each appliance would have one and the Central Heating Engineer is definitely going to put one on the boiler, a white plastic one, but I said I wanted to order a brushed metal one for consistency (even though I don't yet know if things will be hidden).

Boiler - Yes
Hob - No (unless gas)
Oven - No
Fridge freezer, washing machine, diswasher - If socket below counter, then typically have a fused spur above as a convenient switch location.

Sponsored Links
No.

For example, a boiler does.
No.

I assume an electric oven does,
No.

an electric hob...
No. Couldn't put an electric hob on one anyway - maximum load is 3kW.

an extractor fan, what about an integrated fridge and separate freezer?
No, no and no.

I'm just assembling my order for socketry and things, I am wondering whether I need to up the number the Electrician said I needed from 5 to 6 because I am going to go for an electric hob and he'd previously assumed gas. I think this may require more work at the Consumer Board too?
A hob will require its own circuit. If you don't already have a cooker circuit then one will have to be installed.

He may not be happy with me when he returns from holiday.
Maybe not. Especially if you start questioning his statement that you need all those FCUs. First Q - do you want them?

Ooh, interesting... it seemed to be assumed that there would be a bunch of Fused Spurs ordered and fitted. The Electrician has said that each appliance would have one and the Central Heating Engineer is definitely going to put one on the boiler...
As EFLI has said, for things connected via a plug (which contains a fuse), there is absolutely no point in having a second fuse, but you can have a switch if you want. As EFLI has also implied, for things not connected via a plug (e.g. probably boiler, and any other appliances that have had their plugs cut off and 'hard-wired') you may need a fused connection unit.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks.

Do I want them would be "no", but I absolutely want what's safe and correct... whether it's inconvenient to access an under-worktop top is no real issue.

Yes, he has mentioned a "different circuit and 6mm cable" regarding the hob, so I think that's all good - he'd just assumed I'd be going gas hob.

It looks like I can reduce the number of fused spurs in my order. Good.

Fridge freezer, washing machine, diswasher - If socket below counter, then typically have a fused spur above as a convenient switch location.
As has been said, if the appliance is connected by a plug, there is absolutely no point in having an FCU above-counter - if the OP wants anything, a switch would suffice.

Kind Regards, John

This has been very helpful in such a short time... and has probably just saved me about £20. Muchas gracias.

The beers are on me... halves.

Boiler - Yes
Why?

Boilers, Timers etc, say it must be on a 3A fuse. If the boiler is feed from a 6A MCB then no it wouldn't need one, but mostly they are spured off a ring, therefore it is 99% likely the OP needs one.

Hob - No (unless gas)
Why would a gas hob need an FCU?

Fair point.

They might if that's what's wanted. But they are not needed.

I did say "typically". I didn't say needed.

As has been said, if the appliance is connected by a plug, there is absolutely no point in having an FCU above-counter - if the OP wants anything, a switch would suffice.

Kind Regards, John

Personally I would be happy with 20A switches, but people moan and they can be more expensive.

I did say "typically". I didn't say needed.
You did - but the advice should surely be in terms of what is necessary (or even just 'desirable'), not what may be 'typical' (but totally unnecessary).

Kind Regards, John

Personally I would be happy with 20A switches, but people moan and they can be more expensive.
I'm not sure what they moan about (unless they have absolutely no idea about electrical principles). Yes, they can be more expensive, but don't have to be so - and, FWIW, they are probably preferable in aesthetic terms.

Kind Regards, John

No you didn't, not wrt to the boiler in the reply I quoted, and asked you about.

I didn't say needed.
Yes you did.

Look again at the sequence, and pay attention to the fact that I have not removed anything from your reply.

screenshot_755.jpg

screenshot_756.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back