Fused spur faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. please help. I have a problem with some lights in a bedroom. They run from a fused spur and I have a multimeter to test the current. On Each of the lights there is 240 from the live to the earth however there is no current on the neutral.
I have taken the fused spur from the wll and tested it. I Have 240 going from the live to the neutral on the incoming wire but none going from live to neutral on the outgoing wire. Does it sound like the fused spur is faulty and needs replacing?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, what you're measuring is the voltage, not the current (if you tried to measure current in the way you described you'd blow up your multimeter!)

This may seem an obvious question, but you didn't say - have you tried changing the fuse in the fused spur, as it could be as simple as that it's blown?

Yes I have changed the fuse in the spur and also checked it for resistance.
At the light fittings I similaly get the same readings ie 248V from live to earth but 0 from live to neutral.
Please help.
thanks

I have used a 'chocolate block to briidge the connection between incoming and outgoing neutral cable. This has been effective. With the fuse in this fix works with the fuse out the lights do not work. Next opportunity I will replace the fused spur for a new one.
Any comments?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back