Fused Spurs What size cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a socket outlet is fed from an FCU with a 13amp fuse, how many 13amp sockets can be fed from it, since I have seen some diagrams showing a fused spur feeding let's say, one single outlet and then from that one double-is this correct or does it exceed the what is allowed?-since 13amps wont give much capacity.

Also, it says in the onsite guide 1.5mm cable may be used though I'm sure I heard someone saying "no spur of any kind should be 1.5"

Could somebody explain what is/isn't right please?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
As many sockets as you like from an FCU as long as the load is not expected to exceed 13A (so you wouldn't feed a long run of countertop sockets in a kitchen from one!)

1.5mm² cable can sometimes be used *after the fcu* as long as the current carrying capacity after installation method and any correction factor have been taken into account remains above 13A. Most people, myself included, would prefer to use 2.5mm² , you never know if someone will come along later and want to make the run of spurs part of the ring, and would be rather annoyed to find that had to rechase it just because someone decided to save a few pence on cable!

OK. but could a couple of double sockets say, be run in this way in a small bedroom for instance?

Adam_151 said:
would be rather annoyed to find that had to rechase it just because someone decided to save a few pence on cable!
translated: "stop been tight and buy some 2.5" you may have some 1.5 left over but a length of 2.5 isnt expensive

Sponsored Links
Clitheroe said:
OK. but could a couple of double sockets say, be run in this way in a small bedroom for instance?
Indeed they could.
<bends down and takes photo under desk>
dsc00447dg7.jpg

;)

FCU on LHS supplies the two double sockets. There was a double socket here before on a spur. Replaced with an FCU in order to add another double socket. Couldnt get behind skirting to run cable. :(

Crafty said:
Couldnt get behind skirting to run cable. :(

You're not trying :LOL: , long drill bit just above the skirting at the steepest angle you can, and lift the board, remember the wall surface will be further back below because of the lack of plaster, but if it still doesn't become visable then might have to work on it from the other side a bit

if by "lift the board" you mean the floorboard beneath the skirting, then again, i was out of luck! The wall is thermalite and i think it was built ON the floorboards. And the floorboards were parallel to the wall. I could have taken the skirting off i suppose! But in this house when you pull woodwork off it seems to bring half the wall away with it. :LOL:

Tch. Young and inexperienced, that's a bad combination... :LOL:

securespark said:
I used MK accessories! What more do you want?! (broadband outlet excepted, I couldnt find such a product by MK)

Crafty said:
And the floorboards were parallel to the wall. I could have taken the skirting off i suppose! But in this house when you pull woodwork off it seems to bring half the wall away with it. :LOL:

Know the problem well - the plaster also comes off. Why not cut the floor board immediately to the right of the left joist and immediately to the left of the right joist - both in front of the wall where you want the socket. Then screw a piece of 2"x1" to each of the left and right joists to allow you to replaced and screw down the board you cut ? Doesn't need to be the board running beside the skirting - can be one back but still allows access to get the cable ? :idea:

Adam_151 said:
and would be rather annoyed to find that had to rechase it just because someone decided to save a few pence on cable!
and my suspicion is that many people wouldn't even bother to check so they'd end up with 1.5mm as part of the ring. Not good.

basically i agree with everyone else here: its allowed by regs but very bad practice.

securespark said:

There are many a time I've had in the past of 'the older person HAS to be the one who is right',

Many a times I've ended up having to think 'Who is the wrong one now eh?!!!!!' when the older person has been wrong, on several occasions with electrical work.

I personally think there is no need to assume a person is not good at a job just because they are young.

Adam_151 said:
would be rather annoyed to find that had to rechase it just because someone decided to save a few pence on cable!
translated: "stop been tight and buy some 2.5" you may have some 1.5 left over but a length of 2.5 isnt expensive

YES I KNOW THAT!!! I WAS ONLY ASKING!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back