Help with Fused Spur Info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have unfused spur going to a single double gang socket...This spur is fed from a single gang socket which is part of the ring main.

I now want to add another socket off this spur, so need to change it to a fused spur. The usual way of doing this is fitting an Fused Spur Outlet....

Rather than fitting a separate FSO near my existing socket, is there such a thing as a 13amp socket outlet with additional terminals (via a fuse)outlet for the spur wiring ie everything built into one unit? I know you can get a standard fused 13am socket, but that's not what I mean...
Regards,

Peter

Sponsored Links
Rather than fitting a separate FSO near my existing socket, is there such a thing as a 13amp socket outlet with additional terminals (via a fuse)outlet for the spur wiring ie everything built into one unit?
No.

I know you can get a standard fused 13am socket, but that's not what I mean...
No, you can't. Sockets are not fused.

You could just use 4mm² T&E for the spur cable and then no fuse is required for multiple sockets on the spur.

Thanks for that...it would be a lot of work to replace the existing wiring with 4mm, and I would probably just get a spark to incorporate the spurs into the ring main first...My present plan involves about a meter of cable to proved a spur off an already existing spur, but it just means I need to make the set up fused...

It no big deal but the other half was not keen on another socket on display, but I am sure she will learn to live with it!

Or you could change the 32 amp protective device for a 20 amp, then you can spur away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that...it would be a lot of work to replace the existing wiring with 4mm, and I would probably just get a spark to incorporate the spurs into the ring main first...My present plan involves about a meter of cable to proved a spur off an already existing spur, but it just means I need to make the set up fused...
Fair enough.

The house was built in the 90s and I *think* all the sockets are on one cct. That excludes cooker, immersion and shower of course...Would need to double check, but I think the way forward is just making it a fused spur...The spur will only be used for a TV, so current draw really won't be an issue, but want to comply with the Regs rather than having two unfused spurs going back to socket on the ring main...

but want to comply with the Regs rather than having two unfused spurs going back to socket on the ring main...
That would, of course, be compliant and perfectly acceptable with only one double socket on each spur.

Someone is bound to say you can't, or it's very difficult to, get four wires in socket terminals but you can and it isn't.

That would, of course, be compliant and perfectly acceptable with only one double socket on each spur.
Sorry, that's my poor wording...the socket I intend to fit will be fed from a socket that is already a spur....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back