Fuses - Im totally lost

MrS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help me out with a detailed guide to all the fuse numbers, rating and types and also how to identify them? Fuse types and numbers keep cropping up in the OSG but im not too sure what they all mean.

There is BS EN 60898 and 3 types. I sort of know what these are, these are the new types you get now in consumer units and are usually labelled. They are usually type B in houses as far as I know. Am I right so far?

There is BS88-2.1 and BS88-6. I don’t know what either of these are. Are they the old Black type ones you see on old consumer units with the red dots for 30A and the blue dots for 6A (I think)?

There is gG. What are these?

There is BS EN 61009. what are these?

Whats the difference between an MCB, a fuse and an RCBO?

Fuses to BS 1361. What are these?

Fuses to BS 3036. What are these?

Sponsored Links
Too much to explain on this forum.
From your number and type of questions I would suspect ypu are proposing a rewire but don't have the necessary knowledge to design the circuits. There is more to electricity than bunging a bit of cable in and wacking a fuse on the end.
Call an electrician PLEASE!

MrS said:
Can anybody help me out with a detailed guide to all the fuse numbers, rating and types and also how to identify them? Fuse types and numbers keep cropping up in the OSG but im not too sure what they all mean.

There is BS EN 60898 and 3 types. I sort of know what these are, these are the new types you get now in consumer units and are usually labelled. They are usually type B in houses as far as I know. Am I right so far?
Not that new, the type refers to the magnetic setting.
There is BS88-2.1 and BS88-6. I don’t know what either of these are. Are they the old Black type ones you see on old consumer units with the red dots for 30A and the blue dots for 6A (I think)?
BS88 fuses are used where there is a high fault current loop, I have mainly seen them in industrial applications where there is a local substation, the only place I can remember seeing them in domestic is in the suppliers service head.
There is gG. What are these?
The general type of BS88 fuse.
There is BS EN 61009. what are these?
This is the standard for an RCBO
Whats the difference between an MCB, a fuse and an RCBO?
An RCBO is an RCD and MCB combined into one unit.
An MCB is a thermal/magnetic resettable overcurrent protection device.
A fuse is a non-resettable thermal link. The differences of the characteristics of operation (appx 3 BS7671) should also be appreciated.
Fuses to BS 1361. What are these?
Cartridge fuses used in a consumer unit.
Fuses to BS 3036. What are these?
Semi-enclosed re-wirable fuses.

i am going to do my 16th eddition. i just want to some answers to things im not too sure about.

that had cleared things up a little

Sponsored Links
The word you're searching for is "Thanks"

Yeah, cheers, mate. Ungrateful bleeder. Some people expect something for nothing, not even a thank you.

If he's doing his 16th, all he had to do was buy a copy of 7671 and there near the back he would find a complete listing of all the BS and BSEN numbers, and what they relate to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back