Galaxy G2 or Yale 6400?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise a good alarm for £350 that is both wireless/wired and GSM ready or can have GSM added on?

I live in a rented house at the mo so will need the alarm to be wireless, however hopefully when i get a house next year will possibly install it as a wired system (depending if i redecorate the house or not)

I've had a quick look at the Honeywell Galaxy G2 system which looks like it ticks the boxes, however if i go for a purely wireless system have been looking at the Yale HSA6400

I'm planning on fitting the control panel under the stairs where there is a power socket, however i will need an entry keypad in the hallway (no socket). Is it possible to fit a wireless keypad (battery powered) in the hallway as i dont want to be drilling walls to run a cable as its rented accomodation?

I'm an electrician and am quite technical so installation shouldnt be an issue, configuration may need some pointers though

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you need wireless keypad, Galaxy doesn't support that. You could just use wireless fobs for set/unset though.

the Yale is a low-cost, easy to fit, DIY product. It is especially suitable for a rental home as you can take it with you when you move. You can add a wireless keypad near the front door.

If you can install a wired Galaxy system, it will be better.

Consider buying the Yale, and selling it on when you move. There is quite an active market for used systems in good conditon, especially the HSA6400 telecommunicating panel. After moving house I sold one on ebay recently with box and instructions, for about what it cost me. Hint: Look at Ironmongery Direct.

Excellent advice guys - i think i'll do that and go for the Yale for now and resell it. Thanks for the link - thats a great price!

Sponsored Links
One option to consider is asking the landlord to share the cost of installing a wired system. That way you get a reliable alarm and he can add a bit to the rent he charges the tenants after you.

Those systems are a million miles apart. The galaxy is a professional panel and the Yale is a pile of ****. Wouldn't have one protecting my wheelie bin never mind my house.

Get a professional company in to fit a galaxy system. Get quotes from local SSAIB or NSI approved companies.
NEVER use an Electritian for a security alarm system, most I've seen have made a mess of them and fit the bargain bin panels from their local wholesaler.

If I was going to protect my wheelie bin, I would be more than happy. You are obviously rather eccentric.

An alarm with a siren fixed to the wall, that hoots when you break in, will have plenty of deterrent effect unless your house is being targetted by a professional who knows, or thinks, that you have something worth having.

Some thick crack-head might not notice the box on the wall, but he will hear the siren, so it will have the same effect on him whether you spent £150 or £1500.

I can't think why you imagine that a tenant, who plans to move out shortly, has any interest in having a proffesionaly-fitted wired system.

Perhaps you are one of those anti-Yale nutters who likes to poke his snout in from time to time.

I'm not anti Yale ...well I am but because its only because of the hassle I've had with customer who have had them installed and after a few months get problems.

You get what you pay for buy cheap and buy twice. Yale included.

I'll guess that you never hear from the many people who buy a Yale and are perfectly happy with it, year after year.

I got one for my old mum's house and it worked (and works) fine.

No why would I? I'm usually the guy who sorts out people's problems and supplies them with a professional system that works instead of their Yale **** that didn't.

I see

so you only ever hear from people who have a problem and decide to buy something else, and this leads you to suppose that all the other people also have problems.

As most things in life you hear more complaints than praise for a product.

if you were a fireman you'd be telling us that all houses catch fire.

I thought this forum was to help people. Not to get **** off of people like you.

It is to help people with DIY questions, and looking at the OP's stated needs is important.

So your biased allegations about a simple, low-cost DIY product, based on your limited experience of a small proportion of owners with problems, doesn't help. Neither does your suggestion of a high-cost professional wired product which is not what he wants.

Sadly we get a lot of hostile responses to simple, low-cost DIY alarms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back