Galvanized pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a galvanized water pipe coming out of the ground in the kitchen and has a funny looking connection on it. Do you know if we can use a brass compression joint on it and then carry on the copper pipe? I think the outside diameter is about 1 inch. If not would one of those plastic push fit connections work? If that won't work, what else is left?
Waltone :p

Sponsored Links
Sure it's not gas? If not sure, don't touch it.

Galvanised pipes are connected with screw threads. Yours is 3/4" bsp. Be careful not to turn it the wrong way or you'll undo the joint under the floor.
Old joints can be very tight.

it's definitely water as it goes to the water taps.
Waltone

is the fitting like

612_28x1.jpg

this :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
waltone said:
My son has a galvanized water pipe coming out of the ground in the kitchen and has a funny looking connection on it. Do you know if we can use a brass compression joint on it and then carry on the copper pipe? I think the outside diameter is about 1 inch. If not would one of those plastic push fit connections work? If that won't work, what else is left?
Waltone :p

Whats is the funny looking connection photo would be handy.
When joining copper to galvanised consideration has to be given to corrosion, this is not usually a problem with dead legs.

The YS fitting that Kev posted are ok for must jobs otherwise special fittings could be required.

K600. A range of non-manipulative (Type A) duplex brass compression fittings for jointing light gauge copper or stainless steel tube. K600 fittings have a one piece body of duplex brass, compression rings of Dezincification Resistant alloy (DZR) and duplex brass nuts

K600. A range of non-manipulative (Type A) duplex brass compression fittings for jointing light gauge copper or stainless steel tube. K600 fittings have a one piece body of duplex brass, compression rings of Dezincification Resistant alloy (DZR) and duplex brass nuts

copy and pasted straight out of the book you cheat ;) ;)

kevplumb said:

copy and pasted straight out of the book you cheat ;) ;)

DId you draw the Picture ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back