Gaps between walls - is this normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I moved into a flat around a year ago and the bedroom has always been cold. The landlord is due to attend Thursday and do a temperature check but I noticed a few things I wanted to check about.

Firstly, there is a disused socket on the wall facing the outside. I've noticed there is cold air coming in through that. I used a 14cm long cable tie to probe depth via a hole in the metal housing that hosted the socket, and found it can go in all the way. This wall holds windows and they take up half the height. The wall itself spans the width of the room.

Secondly, on the wall connected to my living room, there are a couple of holes in the skirting and wall. In both cases, the cable tie is able to penetrate enough to fall in.

The flat is a solid wall construction and this issue has been on and off with my landlord. I understand solid walls buildings are more prone to cold, but my findings strike me as a bit odd.

Sponsored Links
From reading online, I thought solid wall construction buildings didn't have cavity walls?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Solid wall info came from my friend who does building work and this is what my landlord said about it previously:

"I am not aware of (removed) having cavity wall insulation works undertaken to it.... (Removed) is of a concrete frame construction with brick / block cavity wall infill panels so it would only be these areas where insulation could be applied"

Hopefully this helps. The flat in question is on the 3rd floor of a tower block.

Last edited:
Have you tried poking with something that doesn't bend like a cable tie does?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back