Garage Conversion Floor Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am converting my attached garage into living area. Garage floor at present is 7cm below the main house floor level. I need to insulate the garage floor, but it is coming out to be at least 10cm. I don't want a step from main house to converted garage.

Any ideas to ensure both garage and house are level?

thanks in advance!

Regards,
Nav

Sponsored Links
Normally you would need a lot more insulation to achieve the required U Value than your 7cm allows, talk to your actual Inspector who is/will be overseeing the works not just anyone at Building Control, often they will allow you to add a bit more wall or roof insulation to compensate.

Typically your garage floor will run out from the house towards the garage door. ie it will slope away, so you'll find the depth of difference will be much bigger at the garage door end than it is at the house end.

Usually you'll have to put in a fair amount of work to check those levels, probably break it up (at least at the house end) and add more at the door end to ensure you end up with a level floor with the right amount of insulation.

Typically your garage floor will run out from the house towards the garage door. ie it will slope away, so you'll find the depth of difference will be much bigger at the garage door end than it is at the house end.

Usually you'll have to put in a fair amount of work to check those levels, probably break it up (at least at the house end) and add more at the door end to ensure you end up with a level floor with the right amount of insulation.
What! Break up an existing garage slab? Don't be daft! Never had an inspector expect that.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how good the floor is, whether you have to get plumbing in there for rads, how you're going to support the front wall (if there's no footing), if you have services in there that need to move etc. If you have to dig chunks into it all over the place anyway and you don't want that step up, then you have to break it. Although nice inspectors can be nice of course :)

If you need to stick a foundation in you can just cut a nice neat slice off the end of the slab no need to go breaking chunks off, all plumbing can go around the walls.

if your converting to living timber battens secured to the slab will do the job and you can add insulation under"thinsulate foli" . and getting acces for the services will be easy for boarding 1d use ply(screwed) avoid chipboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back