Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert my (integral) garage, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I don't think I need planning permission, but according to several websites I still need "building control consent". Is that something a builder would take care of, or do I need to apply to the council directly? (And if so, do I need an architect to draw up plans first?)

Sponsored Links
Generally you don’t need planning permission, that is you can do it as Permitted Development ( http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/ ) though if your house was constructed in the last say 20 years or so then often these Permitted Development rights are restricted and you do need planning permission, though usually at no fee. Though it may cost a few quid to get an application drawn up unless you want to DIY. There are other certain circumstances whereby PD rights are restricted, usually a call to the council clarifies things though certain councils can be awkward about providing such information and will demand a fee, then the Freedom of Information Act is your friend and that can be used to gain the information, which is public information.

With regards to Building Control, yes it needs approval, a good builder won't need any drawings. If you ensure that your chosen builder knows he must organise approval then you won’t have to apply yourself. Though he may expect you to pay their fee direct, which will be in advance.

Ultimately the onus is on the building owner to ensure the works meet Building Control Approval so it’s important you explain to your builder that you expect him to get approval (and get him to agree) and that you want a certificate from the council at the end of the job, which will only be issued after its signed off. Then he’s the one organising the visits etc and dealing with the BCO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back