garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.... i am bricking up front of the garage,, about 12 rows,,, then placing pvc window above upto the soffit,,,, i have just opened up the inside above the garage door and found that the huge load bearing timber lintel is not right up the top under the trusses but just above the door opening with wee bits above it supporting whatever then the trusses,,,,,,,i havnt opened up right to the top yet ,,,,i have been told by a neighbour whose father in law is a builder that they just reversed these ,,,wee bits i mean the four by two?? sandwiched together the same as the ones supporting the big lintel from concrete floor,,,,,,,,another neighbour said i need to replace entire supports from ground level right upto the height of lintel below trusses,,,,,,one other thing at ground level the long supports dont go right to the concrete but there are a few wee bits before the supports start,,,by the way yes i am going to use acrow props,,,,, hope this makes sense as i was told that the timber lintel is normally up at the top ,,,,,cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you’ve got an attached, single story garage with pitch roof? If so, the roof trusses (or joists in the case of a flat roof) are usually supported from a wall plate or truss hangers attached to the house wall, spanning across to sit on top of the, parallel outer wall, which I assume is brick. If so it’s the truss spans that are taking the weight of the roof & not the huge timber lintel above the garage door at the front - how big is huge? If so the main purpose of this lintel (usually 4” wide & either 4” or 8” deep) is to support the garage door; the “wee bits”, as you call them, up to the “whatever” (what’s that??) are just bracing between the top of the door frame & the roof truss over it; I had exactly this arrangement below a steel lintel in a part integral garage on my previous house. The timbers at the side are, again, probably just part of the door frame & the fact that they don’t go down to the floor in one piece may be because they have patched up due to rotting at the bottom!

It is difficult to get the picture from your description but I would not panic yet, if you can post some decent pictures, we might be able to get a better idea of what you’ve got there. At the end of the day it may be best to get advice from someone who knows what they are looking at rather than rely on your neighbours! You should always prop if you’re not sure but if I’m right, you shouldn’t have to as the frame is really not supporting anything!

it sounds to me that the large section timber is a carrier for the roof directly above the garage span?

cheers ,,,,,,,, its one or the other eh ,,,,lol ,,,i will take some pics today ,,,,,,,if i read right do i just send a pic to the admins? ,,,,, reading this half asleep or half awake ,,,,,cheers

Sponsored Links
just thinking,,,,,,,, i think noseall is right ,,,,,,,,,as there are a few 3 1/2 inch wee bits in the centre above the timber lintel also ,,,,maybe to take the weight ,,,,,,,,also by calling himself noseall he sounds very confident ,,,, i will take pics ,,,,,cheers

On top of your other achievements so far, you've also invented some new form of punctuation.

Why on earth are you using commas like you do? Very annoying to read.

cant be good at everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i was too busy surrrrrrfing insteed of learnning grammar at school ,,,,,,,,,,,,cheers ,,,,,,,,,,now my inferiority complex is about to return ,,,,,,,,,,,grrrrrrrrrrrr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back