Garage damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here so apologies if I've got the wrong forum, provided too much information, etc.

I've just had my first winter/heavy rain in a property with a garage built by the previous owner. The garage has become very damp and moldy. I suspect I have a trifecta of damp - penetrating damp through the concrete blocks at the back of the garage (right hand side on plan below); penetrating damp from insufficient roof material overlap (RO5 on plan below); and rising damp from the back (no damp course that I can see, RO2 on plan below). Dimensions in plan are approximate. The 4.25m2 area at the back is foundations with what looks like sunken chipboard, open to the elements, very wet. That is about 50cm above the damp showing in picture RI5, on the inside of the garage. The top of the pink mold in picture RI5 is more or less level with the chipboard area. The garage also has numerous holes and poor joins - e.g. the window shown from the inside UI1 has an open gap which you can see from photo UO2.

My goal is to get a dry garage I can use to store things in. The big question is whether this is possible, and if so what I can do about it. Within my capacity - ripping out the plasterboard inside (it's probably shot), painting the outside wall with something like Emperor Masonry Cream, potentially replacing the roof. Definitely outside my capacity - creating a damp proof course into the hillside that the garage is on. Left hand side on the plan below is downhill, right hand side is uphill. Damp coming mostly in from the right hand side.

Key question: is it worth doing anything without getting a damp course installed here on the right hand side of the plan/uphill on the garage?

Any other advice on things to do will be gratefully appreciated.
GarageMap.png

Lots of photos in the album, for the sake of sanity I've included key ones here. Rest is in a gallery at the end.

RO1: right outside 1. Shows dark patches on right hand side outside wall of garage, those are very damp. The chipboard between the bricks is also very damp. The inside of the garage has lots of mold around this area - there was previously a lean-to here which got demolished because it was full of mold (before I moved in). The pink mold in the next photo is about as high as this chipboard.
RO1.JPEG

RI5: lots of mold.
RI5.JPEG

RO5: roof material overlap is minimal here and damp has come in. Stuff at top is temporary tarpaulin.
RO5.JPEG

Ceiling 2: damp coming in where roof overlap looks insufficient.
Ceiling2.JPEG

View album 27961

Sponsored Links
Hi, what a project!
I think, have a DPC is important if you this is sure that you have a rising damp problem somewhere. As I read your post, you seem to can't invest in an expensive way to treat it. Have you looked at other, less expensive solutions? It may solve your "start problem" and then let you free to solve your other damp problems. Let me know :)

Hi, what a project!
I think, have a DPC is important if you this is sure that you have a rising damp problem somewhere. As I read your post, you seem to can't invest in an expensive way to treat it. Have you looked at other, less expensive solutions? It may solve your "start problem" and then let you free to solve your other damp problems. Let me know :)
You don’t think tanking slurry up the inside walls would work?

Sponsored Links
Zero chance.

It looks like someone's bought a couple of pallets of blocks and chucked it together. There's nothing standard about any of it. From the looks of it, I doubt it's even got any foundations.

Probably the only realistic option... knock it down and start again.

The corrugated roof may contain asbestos. Send a sample for testing, treat with the appropriate level of care when removing.

Last edited:
Honestly nope. The only thing I'm sure of is you obviously need a DPC. It doesn't involves spending thousands and thousands of pounds, have you looked for cheaper solutions?

Look through the photos, you have to ask if any part of that building is worth repairing. The stonework on one side is vaguely interesting, in a very rustic way, although there's a crack from the door frame to the top that suggests that there aren't any foundations. The rest of it looks like it's been slung together by someone who'd never built anything before and was making it up as they went along.

Sometimes you just have to face reality. Big hammer, start again. Keep the rubble, hire a crusher and compact it into the ground under the new floor.

Look through the photos, you have to ask if any part of that building is worth repairing. The stonework on one side is vaguely interesting, in a very rustic way, although there's a crack from the door frame to the top that suggests that there aren't any foundations. The rest of it looks like it's been slung together by someone who'd never built anything before and was making it up as they went along.

Sometimes you just have to face reality. Big hammer, start again. Keep the rubble, hire a crusher and compact it into the ground under the new floor.
I was concerned that this would be the response. It’s a conversion of an old wood shed done by a previous owner. Hoped it was salvageable because the level three survey we forked out for didn’t raise any issues with it beyond it being “basic”, and said it was in reasonable condition. Gutted.

Thanks for the response!

I'm an enthusiastic DIYer, I'm not a builder or structural engineer. I'm reasonably confident it's rubbish, but don't take the opinion of one random person on the internet as gospel.

If you're in any doubt, get someone to look at it. You may have to pay a few quid and/or be prepared to instruct them to do the demolition so it's worth their while.

One thing you could easily do in an hour would be to dig down alongside the wall in a spot or two. If it's built properly then there will be underground courses of blocks/bricks and/or a substantial depth of concrete reaching down to subsoil, with no topsoil under it. If this isn't the case then there's no point in thinking any further beyond knocking it down. You'd need to add to its weight to improve it, probably significantly. So if it's already struggling to hold itself up you'd be wasting your time and money.

Hoped it was salvageable because the level three survey we forked out for didn’t raise any issues with it beyond it being “basic”, and said it was in reasonable condition. Gutted.
You may be able to claim compensation from the surveyor. In which case you may need an independent official report to confirm it's rubbish before you knock it down. Well worth looking into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back