Garage door rot with an extra challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have two Cardale style up and over garage doors, wood T&G on a steel frame with a rot problem.

The twist is, behind the worst door is a stud/plasterboard wall with electrics in and units up against (there is a studio in the garage space) so I can't open it or take it off without chaos inside.

Looking for any bright ideas as I'm concerned I'm suffering from a failure of imagination on what I can do to get it all looking good again. Ideas I have had are:

1) Attempt a repair on the existing wood - epoxy the rotten parts, 2-part fill, sand and paint. (a big job as although the rot is localised it's cracked all over). I'd probably have to do the same on the other door to keep it looking similar and I'm concerned it wouldn't last long.
2) Cut out all the old T&G, leaving the frame in place and attempt to replace the T&G from the front. I'd try to cut the steel lifting wires from above in case the frame isn't strong enough without the wood. I think the only way I'd be able to fix the new T&G to the frame is self-tappers from the front and fill over the screw heads. Probably my favourite option but up sh1t creek if I cut it all out and find a massive flaw in the plan :LOL:
3) Get 2 new/used doors and attempt to fix a new door over the front of the old door (I could cut off the old lock and locally dig into the stud wall to get some access inside)
4) Get 2 new/used doors, remove the current door with medieval methods and then attempt to fix the new door to the internal stud wall directly.

Last resort: take apart the studio inside (highly undesirable!!)

Something that occurs to me is that I'm not even sure if it's a good idea to consider replacing the wood on the frame for this style of doors, is this normal/easy enough even on a good day?

Thanks for any ideas/pointers(y)

1711709045687.png

1711709068285.png

1711709093015.png

Sponsored Links
over clad with uvpc soffit board
nice, yes that's probably an option. I'd have to do it on the other door (that still works) to keep them looking the same but I doubt it'll weigh much. Also need to be able to finish it properly around the lock on both doors and make a frame. I'll have a think...

nice, yes that's probably an option. I'd have to do it on the other door (that still works) to keep them looking the same but I doubt it'll weigh much. Also need to be able to finish it properly around the lock on both doors and make a frame. I'll have a think...
Edges can be finished with J trim .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies yesterday. I'm not fully sold on cladding UPVC over the top though

Is replacing the wood on these doors a viable option? Again I'm going to be going at one of the doors from the front side only but I think there's a decent chance of it going OK with only needing a few holes in the stud wall on the inside. Seems to be 12mm or 1/2" T&G so not that all that pricey to get the material in TBH

Just cut it off- slash it through horizontally with a circular saw set to just timber depth, rip off the existing, and replace using adhesives or self-tapping fixings.

Once you have cut off some of it to get access, a multitool with a metal cutting blade or a small angle grinder will make quick work of any fixings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back