garage lead guttering repair/replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, my garage and my neighbours are joined (pitched roofs) with the one lead gutter between.

The gutter has quite a few wholes in it, has been patched up/welded repair in the past, but water is now leaking again and coming in through the garage wall.

I'm wondering what the best options are to repair? But also the cheapest, as the neighbour seems happy for his to leak and won't split the cost, such is life.... I use the garage a lot and want it water tight.

I have been quoted to replace the entire gutter in new lead, £850, pricey! But if I go this route, what should I be looking/asking for? The price is for the following:

"To strip the first 3 rows of slates off and then to remove old lead valley following by making a valley board 12inchs wide with a dip then fitting new code 4 lead into the valley then re-slating the roof this includes- 18" code 4 lead flashing 6m rolls x2, Slates, Felt, Wood, Labour"

Code 4 lead good enough?

The other option offered was 1.2mm liquid plastics blended with fibreglass for £500, but I'm not convinced.

I don't think enough lead was laid in the original guttering, 8inches instead of 12 I think, so that's another reason to just get it replaced but ponying up the cost for the neighbour, I don't want to have to do it if I can avoid!

Finally, any DIY fixes I could try myself?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
blanko, good evening.

looks as if your neighbour is a Scot???

I digress,

Suggest you have a look at GRP Gutter linings??

But to use them you would have to get one with a suitably dimensioned proportions.

These units come in all sorts of shapes and sizes who knows one may work, all you need is for the GRP gutter insert to catch the rain water run of from the tiles or slate on each pitch?

Worth a look??

Ken.

blanko, good evening.

looks as if your neighbour is a Scot???

I digress,

Suggest you have a look at GRP Gutter linings??

But to use them you would have to get one with a suitably dimensioned proportions.

These units come in all sorts of shapes and sizes who knows one may work, all you need is for the GRP gutter insert to catch the rain water run of from the tiles or slate on each pitch?

Worth a look??

Ken.

Thanks, I'll research that option. Do you mean that if I can find the right size, I could install it without removing tiles etc?

I assume you mean joined by a box gutter detail between? Code 4 is not up to the job. Regardless of this 12 mtr Code 4 x 450mm is going to be £319 plus vat each ish
I suggest get another quote this one sounds uneducated.
The GRP suggestion isn't bad,

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean joined by a box gutter detail between? Code 4 is not up to the job. Regardless of this 12 mtr Code 4 x 450mm is going to be £319 plus vat each ish
I suggest get another quote this one sounds uneducated.
The GRP suggestion isn't bad,

Thanks, Its just a simple lead gutter, it runs off the end into a PVC down pipe. Hopefully the pics help. The leak issues are not near the downpipe, but in the middle of the guttering mostly.

The company has plenty of good yell reviews and has a good rep but I thought the code might be a bit low... What code of lead should I be looking for? Or again, any further suggestions to patch it myself?

IMG_4904.JPG
IMG_4905.JPG

to be honest the reviews you have seen often mean nothing. mates and mates of mates leave reviews etc.. you need recommendations from people you can talk to.
the detail in the picture will fail using the spec provided.
code 4 is not for a detail like that. that is one of the reasons it has failed now.
Done properly £850.00 would have been cheap! lead, CF slate , labour not forgetting the "Wood"!.
simplest options would be, torch on felt, epdm or grp
get a quote from another. the spec you have so far will bite you.

Bump for anymore thoughts on this.
I had two more guys out to look at this. EDPM is significantly cheaper to replace this lead with and, from what I can find anyway, seems a very good option...

You won't get it done correctly in lead for £850. Over that run, it should be a stepped valley in code 5.

Any membrane will do the job, although I wouldn't like to use heat in those confines.

As said, drip/trim details need sorting as well.

OP,
You might possibly find rotted timber below the lead, and in nearby timber members.
Do you have a stepped box gutter (I cant tell) - if so, that might have to be altered to a single fall (slope) gutter.

The tree is too close and needs trimming back - debris from the foliage might create blockages.
The lower courses of RH slate need re-doing.

OP,
You might possibly find rotted timber below the lead, and in nearby timber members.
Do you have a stepped box gutter (I cant tell) - if so, that might have to be altered to a single fall (slope) gutter.

The tree is too close and needs trimming back - debris from the foliage might create blockages.
The lower courses of RH slate need re-doing.

Its a single slope gutter, going to go with an EPDM replacement and the timber looks good from what I can see.

Funny you mention the tree, had it taken down yesterday, it was causing other issues as well.

Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back