Garage Planning/Building Inc Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Been browsing the forums for a year or so now but just havent registered.

Due to me building a a concours show car there will come a time when i will need to keep it at home in a garage, (Im building the car at work) so im in the process of designing it with a good friend of mine who used CAD
at work.

Only this is i have a few issues regarding boundary limits etc and i get told different stories.
Is it true you need to be 1000mm away from a neighbours fence before you can start building or does this only apply to new builds ???
Also does a garage have to have a window and seperate door other than the main Front garage door ????
Would i be allowed to build further forward thatn thou house is situated or
does it have to be level??

Ive inc some pics below to give you more of an idea of the space i have to work with so please any comments welcome if you see another/better
way of doing it then please say.
The more ideas i get the more my CAD mate has to work with

House itseld inc driveway
1004.jpg

My drive way all the way up to fence behind the bins.
1005.jpg

Area where the garage will be joined onto the house.
1006.jpg

Side view of where garage will be attached to house. Will somehow have
to work around the waste pipes. The last fence panel next to the gate can be removed as the rear backs onto my land
1007.jpg

Some design ideas
Chris9.jpg

Chris10.jpg

Note how we designed the garage 1000mm away from dividing fence, i
really hope this doesnt apply as look how tightfit the car is in the garage.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
not answering your questions

but

it is a very good idea to have a "personal" door to the garage. this is because garage doors are very easy to force and their locks are useless.

However you can fit a barrier bar and some bolts to the inside, and have a fairly strong personal door with hinge bolts and a couple of BS locks on it, so you can go in through there to unbar the vehicle door.

If there is anything worth having in your garage, people are liable to follow you home to see where to break in. This happens a lot with flash bikes. I imagine you will spend a pound or two on tools as well.

Thats one weird shape. :eek:

Have you considered what the roof will look like - or even if it can be formed!

You really need to keep it as rectangular as possible.

You would not normally be required to keep it off the boundary at ground level. But check you local planning policy guidelines

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys

John,
Yes the security will be state of the art as a good mate of mine works for a cctv/security firm. Also my doberman will sleep in there :LOL:
I was planning on putting an internal door from the house into garage but was just wondering if i need a seperate external door for fire regs etc ??

Woody,
Yeah your right mate its one wierd shape and ive spent hours of thinking
about what the roof would look like or in fact if it could be done, being a
roofer myself doing the job would be no probs, its just designing the thing
thats giving us headaches..

If this 1m boundary rule does not apply then i will go for the 6m x 2.3m
rectangle design inline with the driveway.

cheers

Take the plans and pictures to your local planning office and they are usually more than helpful. They will let you know what you definitely can do. I would have thought you can build right up to the edge of your boundary without a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back