Garage protection dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a detached double garage about 1 metre away from house. House is fully alarmed but garage isn't and I want it to be. Thing is, there's so many scenarios and considerations if extending the house alarm to the garage. For example, you full set the house alarm and then exit house and then enter the garage and set the house alarm off because the garage is part of house alarm.

Another one, say house is fully armed (and garage too) and we come home and open garage door and drive car in. The entry timer starts and the keypad is in the house!

I'm thinking the best solution would be to put a separate system in the garage with it's own bell box, dual tec pir, door contacts and window shock sensors (2 windows) all wired. But this would mean I can't set and unset the garage from inside the house if needed?? Perhaps a system that contains a remote key fob for arming/disarming.

It's proving to be a real puzzle.

Suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, I could do and make the garage Area "B". But if I'm buying another keypad, I may as well go the whole hog and get a full system that contains panel, keypad, sensors and a remote arm/disarm fob so it can be armed/disarmed from the house. It'd also mean I wouldn't have to worry about how to run 6 core to the garage across the driveway (blocks up, dig trench, conduit etc etc).

Was thinking about a veritas excel but that doesn't seem to support remote fobs.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Sponsored Links
to be fair price wise it could be more cost effective to buy a kit 1005 and sell what you don’t need on eBay or similar.

but if you were to add wireless sensors in the garage what would you actually need.

1 x dual tech
How many window / contacts shocks etc

As it then maybe work looking at a kit 1005 and selling the bits you don’t want /need on eBay.

But suspect it could be close on price depending on what you actually need and what you get back for the left over parts.

Make a list of what you want and shop around

See pic of back door and proximity of house to garage.

I'm torn between running 6 x 6 core cables from house (from the loft running down back of drainpipe in black trunking and under block paving into garage) ....and... putting in a separate system comprising of..

64w live panel (onboard keypad)
Dual tec pir (wired)
2 X wired door contacts (there's a uPVC side door)
2 x wireless shock sensors (for uPVC windows on back wall of garage facing main up and over door).
1 x wired external Odyssey xb-e sounder
1 x wired internal sounder.

A lot of work and effort involved in running cables from house including blocks up, dig trench between house/garage (approx 4 feet long). However, it's a permanent solution and won't be having to faff around changing batteries every year (they won't last long in a cold garage).

But, there's a problem! Have you spotted it yet? Running 6 cables from the house when I only have 3 spare wired zones on my 64w.

So basically it's now a choice between a stand alone alarm system (as described above) and looking at say a 4 camera CCTV system instead which would cover the garage.

Or, go the easiest route of all and just fit wireless sensors and keypad in garage and connect to main house alarm across the driveway. But would the mesh wireless signal be solid enough between backdoor (wireless contact sensor) and garage door (wireless contact sensor)? Easiest solution but would mean forever changing batteries at reduced intervals due to cold garage in winter.

Decisions.... decisions......

Attachments

• 20240316_100113.jpg
    20240316_100113.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 14
Daft question I know but....can a smartkey arm/disarm via a wireless sensor (PIR or door contact), or will it only talk to a keypad or panel?

So for instance, no panel or keypad in garage only a PIR and 2 door contacts. Will a smartkey arm/disarm these sensors (they'll be separate on Area B)?

Over thinking it
Run 1 8 core from panel to garage ( I would run 2 ) , fit keypad that has 2 onboard zones ( option to fit expander at a later on same network )

Smart keys will pick what’s available to report back so through a wireless device or direct to the built in wireless expander.

I would opt for an 8XP expander address 5 and hard wired devices and not bother with a keypad in the garage

As it happens I have a new LCDLP hardwired keypad and new smart key spare if your interested left over kit parts.

Smart keys will pick what’s available to report back so through a wireless device or direct to the built in wireless expander.

I would opt for an 8XP expander address 5 and hard wired devices and not bother with a keypad in the garage

As it happens I have a new LCDLP hardwired keypad and new smart key spare if your interested left over kit parts.
Ok, this is how I'm going to do it.

Going to run an 8 core cable to garage from house panel (64w)

4 cores to be used for wired keypad and remaining 4 cores as spares for possible future zone expander.

This is what I want in garage:

1 x wired keypad (for the 2 extra wired zones it provides)
1 x wireless Odyssey X-W external bell-box
1 x wired dual-tec pir (wired to keypad zone1)
1 x wired internal sound bomb (where do I wire this to? Keypad??)
2 x wireless door contacts
2 x smartkeys

Only thing I'm unsure about is where to wire the +/- wires of the sound bomb to. I'm thinking the spk and -ve terminal of the keypad. Is this correct?

And last question, is the wired keypad part of the ricochet mesh network?

Last edited:
"As it happens I have a new LCDLP hardwired keypad and new smart key spare if your interested left over kit parts."

What would you want for them?

Not allowed to sell on here so would have to be done off here.

I will email you have what I have a available and you can decide what you want to do if you haven’t already got the kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back