garage radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 32A rcd protecting my 4mm garage radial circuit is there a maximum number of sockets i can connect already 4xdouble sockets connected via a sfu and wired in 2.5mm thanks for your anticipated help.

Sponsored Links
Not a great setup having all your sockets limited to 13A between them. Can you explain more how the circuit is wired, is there a light in there? Is there a CU?
What size fuse / MCB is protecting the garage? What size fuse/MCB is protecting the garage?

The Electricians guide tells me that the number of sockets is unlimited (unspecified).
However you have to take the load & diversity into consideration.

(this is the chapter that i'm currently reading :D )

lights are fed from another sfu with a 5A fuse wired in 1.5mm trying to explain this simple circuit not easy so here goes 4mm into garage straight into 13A protected SFU from this SFU 2.5MM for sockets and 2.5mm into 5A protected SFU then 1.5mm for the lighting. Im thinking small cu then ring around garage whole cu in house protected by 100mA rcd. sorry 32A mcb protecting garage

Sponsored Links
The reason for the 13A SFCU is to protect the 2.5mm T&E in the garage - not man enough for 32A!

Your two options:
1. rip out all the 2.5mm in the garage and replace it with a 4mm cable run between the sockets (you'll still need the 5A sfcu for the lights)

2. put a "garage" consumer unit on the end of the 4mm from the house with a 6A MCB for the lights and a 16A (or better a 20A) MCB for the sockets.

PS You havent mentioned 'RCD' anywhere. Is the garge circuit protected by an RCD?

Thanks guys looks like small cu circuit for lights and circuit for power cu for house and garage protected by rcd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back