Garages who cause scratches on cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if any one else has had this problem. Have a new car, bought in March, keeps making constant strange noises so is back and fourth to the garage.

Took it in on Tuesday and got it back tuesday night, didn't use it yesterday and this morning when I went to get in it, it is covered in scratches! Now these scratches were not here when I took the car to the garage on Tuesday, they washed it and are adamant that they hand washed it and have not taken it to a car wash - this is what looks to have caused the scratches. We always have it hand valeted.

The MD of the garage is going to get involved, but I am really annoyed that they are basically trying to say that they haven't done it - no one else could have done as it has been on our drive since we got it back.

It's a Renault garage, any one had this problem - any advice on getting them to foot the bill to remove the scratches?

Sponsored Links
is it possible it happend at your end on the road or in your garden
by your kids cycling by or somthing similar just a thought :cry: :rolleyes:

Hi Big Al

Not a chance, the scratches are all down the drivers side, across the front of the bonnet, over the top of the car along the roof and across the rear bumper. There is no way that any one could have 'accidentally' done it on their bike - as there is not enough room and you don't need to go up the drive to get to the house or anything else, only to go to the car. The scratches are vertical too, not horizontal - which would indicate someone or something brushing past. No tress or bushes near the car either.

It looks pretty much like a car washer did it, they did wash the car but they are saying that it was done by hand...........

Sponsored Links
If they dropped the sponge on the ground it would pick up grit and scratch the car...

I use a J-cloth, and if I drop it I am very careful to make sure I wash the grit out... 3 years old and the paint still looks better than most new cars, other than a couple of scratches from supermarket carparks (but I reckon I can polish them out when I can be a**ed)

If the car is new and giving a lot of trouble you should consider rejecting it. Read this.

http://cars.msn.co.uk/buyersguide/whenthingsgowrong/

These regs are all about fitness for purpose. Do a google and look up on it as I don't know the time limits.

Washing a car by hand makes no difference if a disinterested valeter keeps dropping the cloths on the floor.

Many cars have minor scratches called swirls, these are caused by the over ambitious use of rotory polishers and can usually be removed.

Also, if one of them was wearing a ring or a metal-strapped watch that could scratch the paintwork.

Count yourself lucky Renault wash cars... my experience of Vauxhall is £340 of work isn't worthy of a quick wash. But when I went to pick up my mum's old clio from Renault once, I had to wait 5 minutes whilst they chamoised it! :LOL:

david and julie said:
Maybe thats why your paintwork is OK Adam.

Perhaps they can spot obsessive compulsives a mile off, and decide "No way we are risking THAT!" :LOL:

SarahHaugh said:
It's a Renault garage, any one had this problem - any advice on getting them to foot the bill to remove the scratches?
If it's a new car then should be covered under the warranty, well mine does up to 3yrs, might be worth looking at your warranty details.

AdamW said:
........ I had to wait 5 minutes whilst they chamoised it! :LOL:
Nah ... that was whilst they actually did the job !! ;)

-------------
Scratches.
If you have driven away and home ... Then noticed scratches later ... I think you will have your work cut out to prove negligence, but wish you all the best.
P

Tell you what, not buying a Renault after reading this...

Although, I would have to wonder, was the driver a) a gimp or b) making up a lame excuse for a 125mph joy-ride?

Seriously, I mean, if the throttle is jammed wide open, knock it into neutral and use the brakes. It isn't ideal but a blown engine is better than a crash. And seeing as the French motorways have a speedlimit of 81mph (crazy number ;) ) and the Vel Satis is a big ugly car, I bet it takes a heck of a time to get from 81 to 125.

Must be a gimp !! I mean did the 'card key' stick as well ? I doubt it !!

If non auto jump on brakes and slip clutch ... wonder how slowly in top gear before stall ?

I agree Adam, I would have no fear of quickly stopping, bu99er the engine if necessary ... Touch wood, my biggest 'frightener' was losing windscreen wiper drive in dark, rain, overtaking HGV's on M4 as posted in Aug ... oooer !! :mad:

There's nowt as que er as folk .... ;) Think I'll mow the grass one last time tomorrow ................

Sponsored Links
Back