Garden building help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm looking to have garden building built as a games room. I have a fairly wide garden so I'm hoping to have it built right the way across with some space around sides for access.

I'm planning to run cold water and electrics to the building. and it will have a sloped felt roof.

The base I've been advised will need mesh as I have tree roots from a old tree in the corner of the plot.

How much would a 11 metre by 4 metre brick built building cost? with 4 metre bi fold doors? including concrete base

I know everyone has different prices but just want a ball park figure so I can rule out the idea if it is very expensive

Sponsored Links
Hello I'm looking to have garden building built as a games room. I have a fairly wide garden so I'm hoping to have it built right the way across with some space around sides for access.

I'm planning to run cold water and electrics to the building. and it will have a sloped felt roof.

The base I've been advised will need mesh as I have tree roots from a old tree in the corner of the plot.

How much would a 11 metre by 4 metre brick built building cost? with 4 metre bi fold doors? including concrete base

I know everyone has different prices but just want a ball park figure so I can rule out the idea if it is very expensive

When I was getting info on an extension I was quoted a ballpark figure of 1000 / metre of bifold doors .. so for you that's 4k to start with.

DIY or professional? What standard of finish? Fully insulated?

It'll need building regs and probably planning.

£20k would be cheap, £60k will get you something nice.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks guys it will be fully insulated at the moment our builder suggested wood frame building and it will cost around 20k so seems reasonable price.

He said we wont need planning because the height will be under the limit and it will just have a sloped roof.

we're basically building a shed that can possible be used as a room during summer.

Regard planning at 11x4 it'll be a big building and coupled with sheds/garages etc you already have will exceed the 30m^2 floorspace limit of permitted outbuildings. Even with 300mm walls to give 35m^2 that's still too big. Then you need boundary to fences etc. Go on planningportal.gov.uk and take a look.

Remember your builder just wants the work, he won't be the one being forced to take it down!

Your builder might be right but best to check. The limit is 2.5m above ground at the highest point for the building you describe. That's including the roof and floor structure. Assuming a slight slope on the roof the internal height will be pretty low at the lowermost point.

Either way it will need building regs approval as it is above 30m2 (in fact if it is made of wood the limit is 15m2 unless you do something fancy to make it fire proof)

Oh really that's interesting to know, i'll make sure I check everything with the builder in regards to planning permission before I give the go ahead to any builder.

Indeed apologies I thought the 30m² thing was planning rules.

Either way it's a lot more work to make a building building regs compliant these days - your effectively building something the same standard as the house, but out in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back