Garden electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I'm going to get a sparks in to do this work so he'll be the final say on the design but I'm a long way off getting him in to design the entire outside garden electrics (lights, Hot Tub, external power, ancillary buildings etc).

I want power to an outbuilding and whilst it's still under construction I thought it might be wise to put in the power cables for the sockets and the light.

For the light I thought a single 1.5mm twin core with earth that runs from the ceiling to the switch then do I put in a 2.5mm twin core with earth running from the switch to wherever the fusebox would be?

Same with the power sockets - would it be a 2.5mm length from the fusebox to the first socket, then another from that to a further socket etc until the last cable comes back to the fusebox area?

Sponsored Links
These are very basic circuit design issues and you aren't going to gain enough competence to do this by asking questions on an Internet forum.

You say
Firstly, I'm going to get a sparks in to do this work

I suggest that you find one and have him tell you what you need to do, as the electrician will need to test and sign this off 'as his own work'.

what_he_said_smiley_zpsa4df0411.gif

For the light I thought a single 1.5mm twin core with earth
Why?

OK, more vitrial…
For the light I thought a single 1.5mm twin core with earth that runs from the ceiling to the switch then do I put in a 2.5mm twin core with earth running from the switch to wherever the fusebox would be?

Ahh, no.

Just some sockets and a light? Why would you need a "fusebox"? And not 2.5mm², good luck getting THAT into a light switch..

Sponsored Links
Is it too difficult to just answer the question?

I never said 2.5mm for the light sockets.....I said 1.5mm and 2.5mm for the power sockets - if I knew WHY then I wouldn't be asking the question would I?!?!

I also didn't say that I was going to terminate the cables - I just want to put the cables in ready so the sparks can do it. I don't have one lined up but I'm about to close of the structure so I want to put the cables in whilst I have access to the roof and walls.

The fuse box would be the main box for the garden - just like a garage supply - and I've already said what I'm expecting to run in the garden.

Why does no-one on this forum answer the questions that are asked without going onto a different tangent completely?

I never said 2.5mm for the light sockets.....I said 1.5mm and 2.5mm for the power sockets - if I knew WHY then I wouldn't be asking the question would I?!?!
But you did -

Is it too difficult to just answer the question?
There are too many variables involved in outdoor installations which we don't know.

Discuss it with your electrician.

I just want to put the cables in ready so the sparks can do it. I don't have one lined up but I'm about to close of the structure so I want to put the cables in whilst I have access to the roof and walls.
Choosing the size of cables, and where they will go is design.

Installing the cables is construction.

Please note the highlighted parts of this:

I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

How is that going to get signed if you present an electrician with the fait accompli of your wiring and ask him to energise it?

Why does no-one on this forum answer the questions that are asked without going onto a different tangent completely?
Why do you, like so many people, think that it's only actually connecting cables to a consumer unit which matters, is the only part of the design & construction process which needs someone who knows what they are doing?

I'll tell you why, and it's the same reason why you asked that question - it is because you are ignorant of what's involved in proper design and installation, and because your knowledge is so limited you think your questions have limited answers.

Firstly, I'm going to get a sparks in to do this work
I suggest that you find one and have him tell you what you need to do, as the electrician will need to test and sign this off 'as his own work'.
blank65x10t.gif
whssign.gif

yet another misguided person who thinks lets get everything finished then we can get a spark in at the end to connect up. sorry it doesn't work that way the electrician should be one of the 1st people you call in. as said above he has to sign to say he has personally installed or seen installed every part of the installation.

Partly protectionism of the industry, partly because crazy DIYers have funny ideas about what is and is not safe (this remark is not in relation to your specification)

Nozzle

It is not protectionism. It is some care for the DIYer.

Look, hooking up a few wires is not difficult in itself, but there a lot of things that you must and need to consider before starting out.

A bit like changing the brake fluid on your car. Its simple yes? Whip out the old stuff, pour in the new - jobs a good 'un...

This is just one in a very long lists of posts on here where 'amateurs' are trying to do things which should be done by a properly qualified person.

Perhaps it's time to have an announcement in this section akin to the DIY GAS announcement in Plumbing and Heating?

Whilst I appreciate it would be difficult to list everything an 'amateur' CANNOT tackle under the regs, a short guide to what CAN be done may prevent this section being filled with posts which only end up in attracting the [justified?] ire of those on here who are properly qualified.

Just MHO

B

Some fair points that I do agree with.

Some that I can't be bothered to argue with at this point or explain myself further but thanks for your input all the same.
I only made 2, really.

1: You're expecting to do design and construction and then have an electrician somehow take charge and take responsibility, and that won't work.

2: Because you don't understand enough about electrical installation work you think you've asked a question with a simple answer but you haven't.

I wonder which one you don't want to accept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back