Garden Garage - Have my builders not done it properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm after some expert opinions please!
I had a garage built in my back garden in the summer - i've just gone in and noticed that there's damp on the floors. We only had it built with one layer of bricks so I'm assuming the bricks being wet is to be expected, but the floor should be dry shouldn't it?
I just want to make sure I know what the problem is before calling them back in.
Many thanks if you are able to help out with some ideas and potential fixes!
Thanks,
Sunny

Sponsored Links
There is a specific reason why architects, designers, building control etc, insist upon builders using rated bricks and 3:1 mortar below dpc.

Your bricks look like very soft chalky fellas and are acting like sponges.

Did they install a dpc? I can certainly see evidence of dpm.

Well they chose the bricks from somewhere called Carvers (wolverhampton); as far as I can tell there's no damp proof core.when it was being built he did say we shouldn't plaster the inside walls as it would get damp.this is just meant to be a storage garage really so I was fine with that,but the floor shouldn't be getting damp plus I didn't think the bricks would be this bad either!
Is there anything I can do to rectify this,or is this defintely a phone call to bring the guys back in?
Really appreciate your help with this,I wanted to find out as much as I could before calling them up!!
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
No dpc!!!! :eek:

The dpc or damp proof course is visible a a thin strip of plastic or similar running horizontally along the brickwork, usually a couple of courses above ground level.

All brickwork up to this point is usually built from class b semi engineering bricks or similar rated.

Any brickwork above can be what you like usually matching the existing house.

Incidentally, unless the brickies have deliberately cut the dpc then it is normally visible on the inside as it tends to protrude beyond a half brick thick wall.

There is clearly a DPC, as you can see the dampness in the bottom few courses and a dead straight line where the DPC is stopping it going up further.

But, there is no use for any DPC in this single skin garage ... it's not serving any purpose at all

That garage will always let dampness in via the walls ... its single skin and that is an inherent problem

From my experience, when the garage wall exterior had not been rendered, (single skin 100mm blockwork) the floor was wet with condensation, in the winter, despite there being a dpm and 100mm ploystyrene insulation in the floor.
Since rendering the exterior there's been no damp on the floor whatsoever. Obviously there's a dpc in the wall.

But, there is no use for any DPC in this single skin garage ... it's not serving any purpose at all
I disagree.

A dpc would have kept the moisture where it belonged.

The problem here is there is no damp proof construction whatsoever so those bricks low down are vulnerable to frost attack amongst other things.

Had it been built with strong mortar and decent bricks then all risk would have been countered.

Im not a builder but i too would have expected a DPC in the wall as well a DPM in the floor, and engineering/waterproof grade bricks below the DPC to prevent there excessive damage by frost.

A single skin wall will never be very dry, and you wouldnt be able to plaster it or store damp sensotive things against the wall but for what it is its a case of deciding how much you want for how much you spend and I would proberbly have done the same (with suitable bricks below the dpc) and then applied some brick sealant to reduce water transmission as much as practicable.

Not that there is a huge about the OP can do about it now short of apply some sealant/febsilicon to what he has.

Daniel

There is no requirement for engineering bricks at ground level. A normal facing brick with a suitable frost rating will do - which will be exactly the same rating as an engineering brick

What is the point in having a hDPC in a single skin garage wall where water will travel across the wall to the inside in any case?

A DPM is not required for a garage

I guess 'engineering brick' has been used slightly loosely to include 'facing bricks with a suitable frost rating' with the main question being, is that the grade of brick used here.

Daniel

[quote="Sunnygrewal";p="2241193".when it was being built he did say we shouldn't plaster the inside walls as it would get damp.this is just meant to be a storage garage really so I was fine with that,but the floor shouldn't be getting damp plus I didn't think the bricks would be this bad either!

Thanks again[/quote]

At least he let you know and you was fine with it !

If the walls are wet and the floors touch the walls then the water will bridge.

If you want a completely dry garage then you pay more for a double skin wall :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back