Garden levelling - dig down or build up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live on a slope and after my two patio slab depth patio area my garden slopes down from the right to the left quite considerably. It means there is not much garden for the children to play in.

I therefore want to level it out. Question is, do I:

1 - build up the left to bring the whole garden level and turn my 6ft fence in to a 3 ft fence as a result.

2 - dig down the right to level it with the left and create a step down from the patio to the garden. This keeps the 6ft fence and therefore the privicy.

Not sure if it matters but eventually I'll be making the patio much bigger.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would just let them get on and play. Children have plenty of imagination, and they can play with almost anything, until adults start meddling and spoil it.

Here is a photo, hopefully it will help explain what I am talking about. Ideally I would like to dig down to retain privacy with the fence on the left. The right hand side fence is dead anyway so it needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't see that much of a problem...hardly a cheese rolling slope is it!

Of course you could mark the middle and put the stuff dug from the right over to the left (where were you going to put the soil if you chose your original option 2? - because that's a lot!)...but then of course you'll also have to turf etc..not a quick job!

I think you may need planning permission if you change the height of your garden now?

i hope you have alot of spare time thats alot of work if you dig out you do now you will have 2 retain the soil with a wall or something and is there another garden 2 the right because a 6ft fence your side is then 3ft on the other

Maybe not cheese, but def rolls a ball - the photo doesn't reflect it that well to be honest.

I was going to get a skip for the soil if option 2 is chosen.

Yes I intend on building a retaining wall with sleepers whether I go option 1 or 2. If option 1 then the wall will be on the left of the picture, if option 2 then on the right.

Surely the fence will grow not reduce in size if I dig down?!

Was NOT aware of the planning permission but not convinced it would be a problem even if I did apply for it.

I'm aware it's a fair bit of work but I want a flat garden and I'm just looking for support that I'm not completely crazy and living in the clouds. I always see people build their garden up rather than dig it down, is it just because of the manual work involved - which I actually quite enjoy on a hot summers day as replacement for training!

If digging out, that's a lot more than a skip's worth!

If digging out, that's a lot more than a skip's worth!

Really, how much more??

Starting to wonder if i'll have to build it up and then build a hire fence for privacy, which sucks but maybe it's safer that digging down.

I did a quick visual measure from the fence panels and your 3 ft fall to give at the very least 3x 11 yd skips (don't know exactly given the true length can't be seen from the photo)...but it's probably more than that given that what you dig out doesn't fit into the same area - I learnt that the hard way myself!

Do a basic cubic yard measurement and add 25%...

Not sure about the price your way, but here it's £120 (cash.. ;) ) a skip!

Of course if it's any good (after removing the grass) you could advertise a load of it as 'topsoil free to collector'... :D

I did a quick visual measure from the fence panels and your 3 ft fall to give at the very least 3x 11 yd skips (don't know exactly given the true length can't be seen from the photo)...but it's probably more than that given that what you dig out doesn't fit into the same area - I learnt that the hard way myself!

Do a basic cubic yard measurement and add 25%...

Not sure about the price your way, but here it's £120 (cash.. ;) ) a skip!

Of course if it's any good (after removing the grass) you could advertise a load of it as 'topsoil free to collector'... :D

ellal, thanks for that, after your comments and standing in my back garden I think maybe going with building the garden up on the left and slightly skimming of the 'hiils' on the right is the way forward. It truely is a huge amount of work digging down that far to match the left!

hopefully I can still get away with one retaining wall on the left and not too much loss of pivacy!!!

If you are going to change levels, think about what will happen in a downpour. Water in quantity can be very destructive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back