Garden Supply Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My background : i have been working in the petroleum industy for around 14 yrs now installing overfill equipment on oil terminals and retail petrol stations.

Over the pasts 4 yrs i have also been attending college to gain appropriate electrcal qualifications in the hope of setting up a buisness to cover electrical installation.

I have this year completed my lvl3 2330 qualifictaion along with the 2382 17th edition and recently gained my 2391.

I have a good knowledge of installtion procedures , however the experience of certain area's i lack slightly.

I am currently in the process of registering with Napit to cover part P and notifyable works.

Recently a friend has asked me to install an outside socket in his garden for his pond pump, i plan to carry out this work once i have completed the Napit registration.

The existing installtion does not have RCD protection or a supplier Isolator switch.

My friend has contacted his supplier and they are coming to install a 100A DP isolator at a cost of £85.

Once this work has been done and i have completed the Napit registration i plan then to carry out the following.

Install Henley blocks to split the supply to a mini cu with 30mA RCD via 25mm tails along with 16mm earth from the MET.

Using 3 core 2.5mm SWA protected by a 20 MCB which will be buried in ducting to an outdoor socket 28m away at the back of the house.

Cable calcs and VD have all been taken into account.

The other option would be to intall one of the 'off the shelf' outside socket kits but this seems a little makeshift to me.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Rgds

Carpman

Sponsored Links
I don't like those off the shelf socket kits at all. Some claim they are a way to legally get arround notification but I find this claim dubious at best.

Make sure any burried cable is of an appropriate type and properly terminated.

I plan to use 3 core SWA one of the cores for earth connection also at the outside socket i will be terminating with SWA gland and the tag down to earth terminal.

Rgds

Carpman

Just because the existing installation doesn't have RCD protection, it doesn't mean you can't use the existing CU to feed an outdoor socket. Obviously I'd avoid making any modifications if the existing CU is very old, but otherwise if there's a spare way you could fit an RCBO or use an RCD protected outdoor socket. The SWA does not need to be RCD protected if you can satisfy the disconnection times, but the outlet DOES need RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Just because the existing installation doesn't have RCD protection, it doesn't mean you can't use the existing CU to feed an outdoor socket. Obviously I'd avoid making any modifications if the existing CU is very old, but otherwise if there's a spare way you could fit an RCBO or use an RCD protected outdoor socket. The SWA does not need to be RCD protected if you can satisfy the disconnection times, but the outlet DOES need RCD protection.

Thankyou for the reply i was hoping there was going to be some spare way's unfortunatly there isnt and the CU is very old.

There are a couple of options i agree :-

1. Main CU upgrade
2. Seperate mini CU
3. RCD protected outdoor socket from existing circuit.

I'm atm leaning towards the Seperate mini CU method.

Rgs

Carpman

On the subject of certification and due to the proposed install being supplied via the Henley block connection, am i right in thinking that an electrical installation certificate on the mini CU and new circuit only would be required ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back