GardTec 581 fuse problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Here's hoping someone can help me.

I've got an issue with a GardTec 581 house alarm. It went off about 10 days ago when it wasn't even set - just the external alarm, there was only a slight sound from the control panel inside. The 'Fb' message was displayed on the panel, apparently meaning fuse fail.

I found that the 1amp fuse inside the panel (top left) had blown; when I replaced it, everything was fine. Until today! Same thing happened again; as soon as I replaced the fuse again, the alarm returned to full working order.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might have happened - twice? I wondered if it could be to do with a power fluctuation, although I haven't noticed anything. I'm stumped and slightly concerned it's going to happen again!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Here's hoping someone can help me.

I've got an issue with a GardTec 581 house alarm. It went off about 10 days ago when it wasn't even set - just the external alarm, there was only a slight sound from the control panel inside. The 'Fb' message was displayed on the panel, apparently meaning fuse fail.

I found that the 1amp fuse inside the panel (top left) had blown; when I replaced it, everything was fine. Until today! Same thing happened again; as soon as I replaced the fuse again, the alarm returned to full working order.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might have happened - twice? I wondered if it could be to do with a power fluctuation, although I haven't noticed anything. I'm stumped and slightly concerned it's going to happen again!
Replace your faulty battery, fuses don't just blow on their own, they are there there for a reason, to protect components further down the line.

'Fb' Fuse Fail or Battery Fault

Thanks for the suggestion, but I forgot to mention that I have also replaced the back-up battery in the control panel. I did that the first time the fuse blew.

It's likely you have either a faulty detector/bell/keypad etc drawing too much current or a high resistance short circuit on one of the cables carrying 12 volts somewhere.

Do the cables run under the carpet, or have you have any work done recently.

Sponsored Links
Disconect the wires in the aux + - replace the fuse and wait if all is ok then the control ,keypad and sounder is ok . the fault is then on the wiring connected to the aux supply, its down to basic testing with a test meter or connect one pair in at a time and have a handfull of spare fuses the cable that blows the fuse is the one with the fault on. If not then i would suspect the external sounder?
Hope this is of help

Grahame

Is the transformer getting hot? That is often a result of a short. Also, check the voltage from the regulator into the battery. A bad battery will often damage the regulator and the voltage will read about 20 - 22 volts which cooks the new battery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back