gas and boiler location help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We are nearing the point of completting the outer work on the extension and have arrived at the point of getting a new boiler (old one not sufficent)

We are trying to decide on the location of the boiler a (System storage boiler) being either in the utlity room or in the airing cupboard upstairs in place of the old cylinder.

The question I have before we decide and continue with the flooring etc is

how far can the gas be run from the meter and whether it can be run in the screed floor and through walls under floor boards of the first floor.

I was on about fitting ducting in the ground floor for Corgi man to fit the gas pipe into.

Just some ideas before we decide on location

Cheers

Nev

Sponsored Links
the length of gas pipe depends upon the boilers demands on it, and the complexity of the run, the higher the load, and more bends/elbows the larger the pipes will need to be.

I'd advise getting your Gas Safe Registered engineer in at this stage

22mm may not be sufficient. Depending on the gas consumption given by the manufactuer, a 30kw boiler will use approx 3.1-3.5 m3/hr which equates to approx 15 mtrs? of 22mm including bends serving only the boiler so no tee's off for any other appliances. Every 90 degree elbow has an equivalent of 0.5 mtrs so in practice this can be significantly shorter.

28mm will go for miles so may be worth putting in for future proofing if nothing else especially if you are considering screeding over the top (providing it is suitably protected against corrosion)

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links
22mm may not be sufficient. Depending on the gas consumption given by the manufactuer, a 30kw boiler will use approx 3.1-3.5 m3/hr which equates to approx 15 mtrs? of 22mm including bends serving only the boiler so no tee's off for any other appliances. Every 90 degree elbow has an equivalent of 0.5 mtrs so in practice this can be significantly shorter.

28mm will go for miles so may be worth putting in for future proofing if nothing else especially if you are considering screeding over the top (providing it is suitably protected against corrosion)

HTH Sam

Thanks that's the guide I was looking for looks like we will go for fitting it downstairs maybe didm't want to carry it all upstairs only to find i'd have to carry it all down again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back