Gas and Electric Cable Separation

Sponsored Links
Think it's 50mm for electric cable and 150mm for the electric meter / CU

There is a gas requirement though, BS6891 and in BS7671 (528.3.4)

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services
Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows:
a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical
switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25 mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services
Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows:
a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical
switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25 mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
PVC tape certainly isn't a recognised conductor of electricity!
so you are suggesting the use of it?
I wasn't really suggesting anything - merely commenting on your statement FWIW, the OSG (don't know about the gas regs) says that the separation 'may be reduced' (although it doesn't say by how much) if the gas pipe is 'PVC wrapped'.

Kind Regards, John

Gas Safe
The Separation distances are there to prevent any interaction between the gas pipework and the electrical supply.
If the separation distance is not as recommended then by placing an electrically insulating material between the gas pipework and electrical installation, BS6891 can be complied with.
In the event that BS6891 guidance cannot be achieved, then a risk assessment will need to be carried out.
Providing the gas installation/appliance aspect of the installation is able to operate safely now and in the future, the situation may be classified as Not to Current Standards.

Gas Safe
The Separation distances are there to prevent any interaction between the gas pipework and the electrical supply.
If the separation distance is not as recommended then by placing an electrically insulating material between the gas pipework and electrical installation, BS6891 can be complied with.
In the event that BS6891 guidance cannot be achieved, then a risk assessment will need to be carried out.
Providing the gas installation/appliance aspect of the installation is able to operate safely now and in the future, the situation may be classified as Not to Current Standards.
In the absence of any explicit definitions, it's down to interpretation. As I implied, I can well see some arguing that PVC tape represents "electrically insulating material".

Kind Regards, John

Not the best written regulation is it. Seem to be saying is doesn't matter that much anyway.
Indeed, and I suspect that many of us would agree with that. Apart from anything else, there will be at least two layers of "electrically insulating material" between any live conductor and the gas pipe. At most, they're therefore just asking for a third layer!

Kind Regards, John

The quote I have posted from gas safe. Is a quote from gas safe, please do not think this is as stated in any gas regulation or guides.

The quote I have posted from gas safe. Is a quote from gas safe, please do not think this is as stated in any gas regulation or guides.
Fair enough, but the wording is very similar to 8.16.2 of BS6891 which you quoted earlier - which, if taken literally, appears to say that, if there is some intervening 'insulating material', then there is no requirement for any separation at all!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back