separation of cables and service/water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could someone tell me if there is a specified minimum distance of separation between a cable (say 2.5mm^2 ring main) and a pipe carrying gas to a cooker or water for the central heating system. I'm currently planning my kitchen design and looking at socket outlets etc. There is a gas supply + heating pipe and I am wondering if it is in principle acceptable to chase the cable into the wall horizontal behind them - the cable would run in a oval conduit and not be sunk too deep to violate the structual integrity of the wall. There is an alternative vertical route but this could be difficult to route.

A reference to a building reg or guideline would be great. Of course a Part P qualified person will do the work but I want to get the design straight first

Thanks for any ideas or advise

Sponsored Links
Of course a Part P qualified person will do the work but I want to get the design straight first

So why not ask him to come and have a look.

So many times I've been called in at a late stage

Appears there is no publicly available specification or defined standard for this and is down the installers interpretation.....OK I will speak to a local _qualified_ person for his viewpoint.

First time of using this forum and I question the purpose of some replies if the initial question is outside ones scope.......I didn't ask if there was such a thing as a Part P qualification but for completeness......

dingbat said:
daviwill said:
...a Part P qualified person...

There is no such thing.

To clarify the definition of "qualified" - to provide with proper or necessary skills, knowledge, credentials, etc.; make competent: to qualify oneself for a job.

Seems to me there is such a thing simply by the definition and seems NICEIC offer this _qualification_ too:

Domestic Installer Scheme Qualification (DISQ) - 5 days
DISQ is designed for contractors who currently undertake electrical work and need to attain a formal Part P qualification. If you are a full electrical contractor or undertake electrical work as part of an associated trade (e.g. plumber, kitchen fitter, bathroom fitter, shower fitter) this course is the one for you. It covers the essential safety requirements of BS7671 (16th Edition IEE Wiring Regs) inclusive of the important practical elements on Inspection, testing and certification. Moreover, it covers Part P of the Building Regs and much more.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back