Gas appliances that actually need servicing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

What gas appliances actually need servicing in the house except the boiler?

We have a built in hob and two gas fires, the hob is Zanussi, one fire is made by Matchless fires and the other Focal point.

The hob and fires have been in for just over 6 years now and have never been serviced.

We will probably get the boiler serviced in August by Vaillant because it is cheaper in summer. No engineers here seem to realise the importance of a service.

How much can we expect it to cost for this type of fire?

Anyway here is a picture of one of our fires, the only thing different is the colour:

ceram60.jpg

Regards

Sponsored Links
Any appliance in your home that is ran off gas, can be serviced.

Boilers a 12 monthly service is recommended. Others that you can see the flame is really a matter of how it is burning. If the flame burns really yellow and is flopping everywhere, or soot is being deposited or the flame looks as if it is lifting from the burner, then I would call someone in the check it out.

If you are a guy that likes peace of mind, for cookers and gas fires I would say serviced every 2 years (in my opinion).

Any appliance in your home that is ran off gas, can be serviced.

Any appliance in his home that runs off gas has to be serviced

If you are a guy that likes peace of mind, for cookers and gas fires I would say serviced every 2 years (in my opinion).

Your opinion doesn`t count, the Regulations state that all gas appliances need to be serviced every 12 months.

i agree, cleverer people than use gas blokes have decided that 12months is the time to have you appliances seviced to keep them running correctly.

If your car was ment to be serviced at 20,000 miles, would you leave it untill 40,000 or mot your car every two years?

Sponsored Links
No engineers here seem to realise the importance of a service.

Would you like to explain what you mean :confused:

As for gas fires, they normally need servicing every 12 months.
But if you have a wood or laminated floor servicing may be needed at a more frequent interval.

I would say that it's more important to service an open flued appliance like a gas fire regularly than a room sealed appliance. There's a much greater chance of CO poisoning from these.

I would say that it's more important to service an open flued appliance like a gas fire regularly than a room sealed appliance. There's a much greater chance of CO poisoning from these.

Agree with above, but you will find all manufacturers state annual servicing, or at least an inspection in the case of a gas hob.

Not true.
That would mean half the population is breaking the law.

They`re NOT,, Are THEY, :rolleyes: I said that the regulations state that all Gas appliances need to be serviced after 12 months.

If people decide not to bother, that`s their concern. Giving opinions on when you or I THINK they should be serviced doesn`t apply.

Hi all,

You are correct nicknox! Most of householders don't bother unless there is a fault. The educated people do get their gas appliances serviced on a yearly basis for peace of mind and safety of their family :D As for not true, try looking through your Manufacturer's Instructions (MI) on your appliances. That is what alot of guys work to and the gas regs and good common practices, especially on Open Flued (OF) appliances. After all there are roughly about 150 people die every year due to CO poisoning, some of these cases and tragic lose of life could of been avoided if the appliances were serviced regularly and any potential fault identified and remedied before an unfortunate accident occurs...

The Gas regulations are law. If they stated 'when or if' you got your gas appliance serviced then you would HAVE to.

The Gas regulations are law. If they stated 'when or if' you got your gas appliance serviced then you would HAVE to.

I haven`t serviced my back boiler for three years, aren`t I a Cad, I don`t have to, most people don`t bother, Mr. Righteous, the law says that you have to pay car tax every year, Guess what...SOME PEOPLE DON`T. :eek: :eek: I KNOW... I DIDN`T BELIEVE THEM EITHER :!:

I love it when customers say the usual, "we haven't had the fire serviced because we hardly ever use it, only when its really cold"
So basically they leave plenty of time for a bird to build its nest and block the flue up, then fire it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back