Gas Boiler Two bed room Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
£164 is the difference between
Valliant ecotec plus combi 831 (£958) / 105,800BTU / flow rate @35 degree 12.7
&
Valliant ecotec pro 28 (£794) / 95,500BTU / flow rate @35 degree 11.5

Apart from the obvious, dose it really make much difference for a two bed room flat / or it is worth spending the extra £164 and buy the bigger model ?

Also, what is the going rate for labour only, straight replacement from Sanu Duval/ Thelia to Valliant?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well we charge £840 but there are many who will do it cheaper particularly those who are not CORGI registered.

If you supply the boiler then if ( when ) it fails then the installer will not take any part in the situation and you will have to liaise with the manufacturers yourself.

When we supply the boiler then we come out quickly first and endeavour to repair it first.

Tony

Valliant ecotec plus combi 831 (£958) / 105,800BTU / flow rate @35 degree 12.7
Valliant ecotec pro 28 (£794) / 95,500BTU / flow rate @35 degree 11.5
The difference in flow rate would not be noticed under normal conditions.

The problem I can see is that the heating output will be too large for a two bed flat, which will probably require no more than 8-9kW max. The 831 has a range of 8.7-24kW and the Pro28 9-24kW. This means that, except when the outside temperature is below freezing, the boiler will be running in on-off mode as its lower modulation limit is too high.

To check your heating requirement use The Energy Saving Trust online calculator.

As the Plus is a better specified boiler, I would always fit the Plus and not the Pro.

Sponsored Links
As the Plus is a better specified boiler, I would always fit the Plus and not the Pro.

Thanks all for your replies,
I am going for the higher spec boiler 831 ecotec plus hoping that it will run with ease and last longer in a tenanted flat.

Thanks again.

the pro does not come with a filling loop the other does so the price difference is less than the price you will end up paying

2 extra tees + filling loop will cost you a few quid

the 831 is a good boiler and i have fitted quite a few, the pro 28 seems to be equally as reliable from the couple i have fitted

The Plus has a two speed pump, extra warranty and better output for HW.

I not certain if the Pro has a built in by-pass or not :confused:

And ignore Agiles comment about many will do it cheaper than 840 . this has nothing to do with not being corgi registered.And more to do with knowing what they are doing instead of being just a nupty repair man

The problem I can see is that the heating output will be too large for a two bed flat,
just range rate the boiler, its hardly a problem :rolleyes:
Range rating only sets the upper modulation limit. It's the lower modulation limit which is the problem - it does not go low enough. :rolleyes:
IF you'd ever installed a vaillant combi in a small house, apartment, you'd know it works just fine and that you are confusing the minimum heat output with the low modulation setting :rolleyes:

you are confusing the minimum heat output with the low modulation setting
They are the same thing! If a lower heat output is require, the boiler has to run in on/off mode.

Take the Vaillant 418 as an example (I know it's not a combi but the MI's for their combi and system boilers don't give the necessary info).

Its spec says:

CH heat output (80/60 °C): 5.0 - 18.6 kW
Maximum gas rate: 2.0 M3/h
Minimum gas rate: 0.53 M3/h

The maximum and minimum gas rates define the range over which the boiler can modulate. Simple maths shows that, if the boiler is producing 18.6kW when the rate is 2.0 M3/h, when the rate is 0.53 M3/h the output will be 18.6 X 0.53/2 = 4.929 kW, which is the lower heat output.

Range rating the boiler only sets the upper limit. It has no effect on the lower limit; and this is made clear in the MIs.

your problem is simple, i suggest you put the books down and go and work on one, do some tests then come back and tell me your wrong. You clearly don't understand how a boiler works

when the rate is 0.53 M3/h the output will be 4.929 kW

i've just bothered to re-read your post, given this new bit of information you've read out of the book(top marks for reading skills by the way) can you now tell me what the problem is that you had previously raised issue with?

You clearly don't understand how a boiler works
And you don't understand that there is a lower limit to modulation, below which the boiler has to run in on/off mode.

mickeyg said:
i've just bothered to re-read your post, given this new bit of information you've read out of the book ... can you now tell me what the problem is that you had previously raised issue with?
I quote from the book as then there is no argument over the figures.

Read my first post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back