Gas bonding - is my incoming gas pipe PE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had my boiler serviced this morning and it was pointed out that I don't have any electrical bonding on the gas meter

House is a new build (completed 2022) so initially I just assumed it was something that hadn't been checked/missed and needed to get resolved

However, after reading up on this, there is a PDF from the NHBC that states that PEB isn't required if the incoming gas pipe is plastic (PE) so that's maybe why it hasn't been connected:

https://www.nhbc.co.uk/binaries/con...f-gas-installation-pipework-new-june-2020.pdf

So is it actually required?

Here is a photo of the supply pipe entering the meter box

PXL_20240418_075351352.jpg

Advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
It appears to be plastic so it looks like it won't need bonding... but without testing we cannot be for certain so it'll be better to get it tested whether it will need to be bonded or not.
It's probably a cover for the pipe that appears to be white so have a look somewhere else.

Last edited:
That plastic pipe is not the gas pipe... just a cover/conduit/hockey stick in which the gas pipe travels. We can't see the actual pipe incoming. You'll find the electric box has a similar one with the DNO cable inside it.
{It's probably plastic. They don't use metal pipes any more afaik. IIRC, my gas pipe in one house was replaced with plastic inside the old metal pipe in the 90s when they replaced all the gas mains with yellow plastic pipework?}

Note that, from the document you reference, the preferred PEB is on the gas pipe just inside the building NOT inside the meter box... so have a search for where the gas pipe enters and runs to see if there is one anywhere else?

Sponsored Links
IIRC, my gas pipe in one house was replaced with plastic inside the old metal pipe in the 90s when they replaced all the gas mains with yellow plastic pipework?}
As I am aware, in my area most of the pipes were replaced to MDPE (yellow) pipe in 2019.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back